How To Achieve This Look?

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 4:30am by tootie0809

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 16

Hi, I have a bride who is interested in this cake for her wedding. The info she sent to me says it is done in marshmallo meringue icing, which she does not want. She wants to know if it can be done in buttercream and still get the same or similar effect in the picture. I'm trying to wrack my brain figuring out some ideas on how to achieve this in BC, and I do have some ideas, but I'm wondering if anyone else has some brilliant idea on how this can be done in BC and how they would do it. Any suggestions or ideas?

TIA!
LL

15 replies
cgm_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgm_cakes Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 16

My only thought would be icing it to look all swirly and then airbrushing the color on???

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 16

looks like its been toasted with a torch HTH

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 16

What cgm said...you can't torch BC only Marshmallow cream or meringue. Your only option for bc is use a giant star tip and swirl on the icing then airbrush with brown to give the toasted effect.

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 16

that is italian meringue torched

tootie0809 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 16

Okay that is exactly what I was thinking to do by swirling on the BC with a big tip and the airbrushing it. I don't think it will look exactly like this using BC, but I'll let the bride know I could get it pretty close to that effect. Gosh it woudl be fun to use a blow torch in my kitchen though! LOL! Thanks for all the help! icon_smile.gif

cgm_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgm_cakes Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 11:29pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

Okay that is exactly what I was thinking to do by swirling on the BC with a big tip and the airbrushing it. I don't think it will look exactly like this using BC, but I'll let the bride know I could get it pretty close to that effect. Gosh it woudl be fun to use a blow torch in my kitchen though! LOL! Thanks for all the help! icon_smile.gif

Good luck. Will love to see how it turns out.

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 16

Good ideas, but I would be tempted to try it out on a smaller cake and show the bride before committing to this technique. she may not be as pleased with the sprayed BC.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 11:56pm
post #9 of 16

Do you think it would work to paint the inside of the bag just a teeny bit with brown then pipe it on in swirls? Might be worth a shot to play around with it...

It is a very cool looking cake! Am anxious to see how you pull it off! icon_smile.gif

sugarjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarjones Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 12:11am
post #10 of 16

You can make meringue that doesn't taste like marshmallows, try that out and let her taste it so you can still use the creme brulee torch and have that awesome effect!

tootie0809 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:41am
post #11 of 16

That's a good idea to try before I commit to it. I am meeting with her this weekend. I shoudl do a small 6-inch cake before we meet and show her. Very good advice! icon_smile.gif

sugarjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarjones Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 5:43pm
post #12 of 16

Great! Let us know how it turns out!! icon_smile.gif

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 6:01pm
post #13 of 16

This is completely OT but I LOVE your Boxer they are one of the best dogs in the world! icon_smile.gif

tootie0809 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 6:21pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalhoun

This is completely OT but I LOVE your Boxer they are one of the best dogs in the world! icon_smile.gif

Aw thanks! I think they are the best dogs too! I have 3 of them. The one in my pic is my middle child. He's 2 and I have an 11-year-old and a 7-month-old as well. They rule my world! icon_smile.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 12:42am
post #15 of 16

That is really cool! Please let us know how it turns out and how you did it icon_biggrin.gif

tootie0809 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:30am
post #16 of 16

Okay, so I did some trial runs of this design with the BC and airbrush. It took me a few attempts and experimenting with different tips, but I finally got it as close as I possibly could to the photo using a 22 star tip and swirling the BC in lots of different swirl patterns and then airbrushing it with brown and ivory colors. I did a mock-up on a 4-inch dummy cake and showed the bride what it would look like in BC when I met with her this weekend. She liked it a lot and might even want to do it in a slightly different color like gold. She seemed pleased with how my technique turned out. I don't have a pic and already washed off the dummy cake, but it looked pretty good. Thanks for all the advice on it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%