White Buttercream

Baking By dalis4joe Updated 24 Feb 2010 , 10:55pm by dalis4joe

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 7

Everytime I make my buttercream [I use Edna's recipe (THE TASTIEST!)], so it's 1/2 HR Shrt. 1/2 Butter... I can NEVER get it really white... it's always like an off white or even Ivory color... how can I get it all winter white without using only HR Short?
I even tried adding white color to it....

6 replies
confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 7

What type of liquid do you use? I use heavy cream in mine and it makes it much more of an ivory color than if I use water or even regular milk. The butter is also going to prevent it from being bright white. Have you tried using the americolor bright white? I have had good luck adding that to white icings to get them more of a pure white.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 7

Wilton also has a whitener and that works well too. icon_smile.gif

dalis4joe Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 7

I have added that... but it just doesn't seem to get as white.... I know that if I want to keep the butter ratio... then I might have to just deal with it... but

maybe french buttercream? does it crust? can it be fondanted?

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 7

I was hesitant to try an all-shortening buttercream recipe myself for fear of it being super greasy, but then I gave in and tried one. So glad I did. Indydebi's Crisco Based Buttercream is awesome! You should give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 7

If you use butter it will never be completely white. Omit the butter and use all HR if you want a true white. You can add a teeny tiny bit of violet color as it cancels yellow and will make it whiter.

dalis4joe Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 10:55pm
post #7 of 7

thanks tiggy......
And I will be daring enough and my next batch will be all HR (I ordered the wedding boquet flavor emulssion that Sharon uses.... once it arrives I will try it... she also uses coffee creamer dissolved in hot water instead of milk??? dunno why?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%