Covering 8 Inch High Cake With Fondant

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 5:15pm by pjaycakes

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 10:41am
post #1 of 6

I need to cover an 8 inch high 10 inch square cake with fondant. Is this doable all in one piece of fondant? She wants the cake to look like a huge package with quilting, pearls and a bow on top. TIA.

5 replies
mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 6

It sure is.... Roll your fondant out on a large silpat or run to Wal-mart and get a piece of vinyl. The clear stuff that you would put over a table cloth to protect it. They have it in the fabric section, if your Wal-mart still carries fabric. It not you should be able to get it from any fabric shop. For the vinyl rub it down lightly with crisco. I get pieces cut so they are square
(W X L) and then roll them up when not in use. Hope this helps.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 6

Just be patient when smoothing the sides. With a cake that high if you go too fast you will get pleats at the bottom.

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 6

Why don't you just wrap it around the sides of the cake instead of draping it over the top? Then, you can place another piece over the top and make it look like a lid.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 6

Another tip... Once the fondant is on the cake, immediately smooth the top and all the top edges. This will hold the fondant on the edges of the cake and prevent it from tearing under it's own weight.

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for the tips. I will check with the lady, but I don't think she wants a lid. She wants the puffy quilted look.

I just got back into cake decorating after being out for about a year. Seems like once a cake decorator always a cake decorator. Just couldn't stay away.

It is so good to see all the posts again and all the new changes to the site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%