Crumb Coat?

Decorating By kikibakes Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 3:42am by noahsmummy

kikibakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikibakes Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:56am
post #1 of 3

Hey all!

This may seem like a stupid question but.....I am new to cake decorating and I keep hearing about a crumb coat?? What is that?

Thanks in advance!! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:08am
post #2 of 3

It's when you cover your cake in a thin coat of frosting and letting it set. It helps to keep the crumbs in place for when you go to actual frost the cake. "crumb coat" HTH icon_smile.gif

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:42am
post #3 of 3

do a layer of icing (usually buttercream) and leave it to dry/ set before you do your final coat. that way you dont end up with crumbs all through your finished layer. =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%