Candy Molds For Fondant/gumpaste?

Decorating By KATHIESKREATIONS Updated 6 Mar 2011 , 3:03am by VickeyC

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 12

I have a lot of clear plastic candy molds & was wondering if anyone has ever used them to make fondant/gumpaste figures. etc. with to use for decorating your cakes & if so, what were your results? I am new to using gumpaste, so any tips for using them would be greatly appreciated.

11 replies
idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 12

I bet you could use them - maybe pop them in the freezer for a minute before trying to unmold them.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:00am
post #3 of 12

I have used them before, I just dusted them lightly with cornstarch before using.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:04am
post #4 of 12

I use them all the time for gumpaste and fondant, that is what I bought them for, not candy. I just grease very lightly with crisco, pop in the freezer for a few minutes and out they pop.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:54am
post #5 of 12

I've done it a lot, too. I don't put anything in them but the gumpaste (no corn starch or crisco). Works like a charm.

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:50am
post #6 of 12

icon_biggrin.gif Thank you all so much! I only make candy for the holidays now & thought, why not see if I could use all these molds for something else..... icon_rolleyes.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:53am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

I've done it a lot, too. I don't put anything in them but the gumpaste (no corn starch or crisco). Works like a charm.

Thanks! I am so glad to know that. Getting that cornstarch off is a pain in the rear.

cakeaddictunite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddictunite Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 12

I tried that last night with Fondant and I'm having a problem getting the Fondant out of the molds eeeek!!!any advice??? yes I put it in the freezer for a few min. and I still cant get them out!uuuggghhhh. icon_cry.gif

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:50pm
post #9 of 12

I just used molds last night. I sprayed a little pam in the mold, pushed them in and pulled them out. Easy peasy. Didn't think of trying to freeze them, or use cornstarch. That might have made more sense!

cakeaddictunite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddictunite Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 6:01pm
post #10 of 12

Cookie not so sure about the freezer thingie I still cant get mine out!!! and I did them last night whaaaaa icon_cry.gif

Ekaba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ekaba Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:34am
post #11 of 12

I think gumpaste may work best. just found out the hard way that fondant is too difficult to work with on these molds. Also, I hear the cornstarch is hard to work with for this molds too. I will continue to play around with iticon_smile.gif

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 3:03am
post #12 of 12

I use my candy molds with mmf. I spray them with cooking spray and have never had a problem getting the fondant out. I blot them with a paper towel to get the excess spray off and then put them on a cookie sheet and place in the oven with just the light on to help them dry out. HTH someone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%