Need Help From Wilton Instructors And/or Tax Professionals

Lounge By mommyto4 Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 4:47am by chelleb1974

mommyto4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyto4 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 7

So this is the first year I've been a Wilton instructor and I'm trying to do my taxes. First off they are taking 1/3 of what I made in taxes which makes me mad (I know this is how much they take out of my regular paychecks, but it's just hard to see it all go at once), but now I need a "principal business code" since Hobby Lobby pays me as an independent contractor and I don't get a W-2, but do get a 1099-Misc instead. I NEED to know what is the "principal business code" for Wilton Instructors working as independent contractors PLEASE! TIA

Lisa

6 replies
chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 7

I would use 611000, Educational Services. I'm a tax preparer and accountant, and since you are a teacher, that's what I would recommend.

~Chelle

mommyto4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyto4 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you very much!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 3:51am
post #4 of 7

chelleb1974, I hope you don't mind my asking...but how do Wilton instructors that are actually hired as employees by their store get to write off their expenses? I teach at Michael's and am a Michael's employee, so I get a W-2 at the end of the year, yet I have many expenses that I should be able to write off. How do I do that?

Many thanks! icon_smile.gif

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 4:14am
post #5 of 7

If you itemize your deductions you can claim unreimbursed employee expenses - line 21 of schedule A. But it is only what is over 2% of your adjusted gross income.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 4:18am
post #6 of 7

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 4:47am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margieluvstobake

If you itemize your deductions you can claim unreimbursed employee expenses - line 21 of schedule A. But it is only what is over 2% of your adjusted gross income.

Margie got here before I did, lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%