Fondant Letters

Decorating By lizzie84 Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 12:02am by Mug-a-Bug

lizzie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzie84 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 10

Hi there! I bought a set of alphabet cutters from GSA to cut out fondant letters. I was wondering what all of you experts use to cut your letters. I dont have the time to cut them out free hand, but when I used the cutters, the fondant/gumpaste stuck in them (I did grease them). When I tried to pry them out, they stretched and broke. I will admit they were small cutters (1 inch I think). Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Lizzie

9 replies
sugar-2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar-2 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 10

I had that problem too when i first started using my funky letters cutters, now i roll thin and dust with icing sugar before pressing the cutter, works great. I don't grease the cutters at all. Hope this helps a bit, i know how frustrating it can be!!!

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 10

There is a video of how to do it on YouTube by Tonedna....or if you search the how to forum, there is one that says, Hundreds of Tutorials in here, the link is in there. HTH

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 10

Are they the Tap-its? If so you tap them against the counter and the letters come out.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 10

Add a little tylose to your fondant, roll it out then let it dry a few minutes before cutting. Dust with corn startch (including cutter) and when cutting move the cutter around on the counter to get a clean cut. As Texas Sugar said, it they are tap-its smack them on the edge of the counter and they should pop out. Don't try picking them up until they are dry. You can move them around with a small, soft paint brush. HTH

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 10

I use flowerpaste/gumpaste, roll it out and let it dry for a couple of minutes before cutting out.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 10

Adding gumpaste or tylose to the fondant helps to stiffen it up. I dust the cutters with corn starch, allow them to set up and then pop them out with not much issue. Sometimes, I have to use a paintbrush to coax the reluctant ones. icon_lol.gif

lizzie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzie84 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you everyone!

izzy1953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzy1953 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 9:41pm
post #9 of 10

I finally figured out how to use mine! rolling the fondant/gumpaste thin and letting it dry for a few minutes is the biggest help. then i dust with cornstarch, cut, let sit a few and pop it out. i agree they were very frustrating to begin with!

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:02am
post #10 of 10

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%