How Long Does It Take You To Make A Cake!?

Decorating By jdogga Updated 31 Aug 2005 , 5:03am by SquirrellyCakes

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 4:05pm
post #31 of 35

4bugzinarug
Just wanted to say, you can make 2 inch cakes in your 3 inch pans. Actually if you put the same amount of batter that a 2 inch cake pan calls for, into your 3 inch pans, you will actually get a higher cake, about 2.5 inches high. The cakes will bake nice and level too. You really don't need to purchase 2 inch pans if you already have the 3 inch ones. Most folks put too much batter into the 3 inch pans and this is why they take so long to bake. They are only meant to be filled about 1/2 way. Wilton used to recommend 2/3 but not anymore.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

NottawaChelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NottawaChelle Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 4:19pm
post #32 of 35

Whew -- glad to hear I'm not the only one who stays up waaaay too late decorating. I have noticed that I'm getting quicker at some things like torting, filling, and smoothing. One of my first cakes was a basket of flowers for my sister. I spent over 8 hours making buttercream flowers for the cake top alone! I just about gave up decorating after that except that it turned out so well that a friend of hers actually thought it was a basket of flowers (from across the room).

I'm also learning to pace myself as some of you have mentioned. A lot can be done throughout the day even with little kids running around and calling for attention. I save the actual decorating for night when I really need to concentrate.

I've got 4 birthdays coming up in the next week: lack of sleep, here I come!

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 11:54pm
post #33 of 35

Squirrelly, thanks for the tip! I will give it a try. I was filling my 3" pans at least 2/3 full because the receipe I used doesn't rise much. Take forever to bake also!

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 4:35am
post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Hey Purple, who said you aren't crazy, we are just saying that you are in good company, haha! There are many crazies here!
You use different muscles for cake decorating, different arm and hand muscles. When you don't do them all the time, you suffer when you do. I find the muscle action for doing the side of the cake, flat icing it, is the hardest on me. Especially if I am doing several cakes for a wedding or such. My hands used to bother me, but I have really thinned down my icing and since I mostly work with fondant or gumpaste flowers, that isn't an issue anymore.
But all-nighters, well that actually qualifies for you to be considered a cake decorator, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly

Just saw this one, Squirrelly!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Thanks for the consolation, I think! icon_confused.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 5:03am
post #35 of 35

Heehee, you are welcome, I think!
Hugs Squirrelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%