Very High Layers

Decorating By sugarrose Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 2:05pm by leah_s

sugarrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarrose Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 5

how do you make very high layers of cake? for example i see some cakes which are very tall in the size. Are they baked and fixed in severel layers of 4 inches tins and put together or are they fixed over dummys or are they using very high tins to bake direktly. if its baking tins where can i get those high baking tins. can some one help me?

4 replies
Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 5

High cakes are usually several layers stacked to achieve the height that you need.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 5

you can easily get 3" deep pans.

My cake layers tend to be around 5-6" tall each, I like a tall tier. Each cake is baked in a 2" high cake pan, and then torted (each 2" layer cut in half) I fill in between all the layers so that adds at least another inch in height sometimes 1-1/2 inches. Then I put the cake onto a 1/2" thick piece of foam core board and frost all the way around the side of the board and cake, so that adds another 1/2" of height.

HTH

sugarrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarrose Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 5

thankyou, its a good idea. i will try like you. my pans are 3 inches high. that means when i have baked it is about 2 inches high. to have a cake of 6 inches i have to bake 3 times. and when i make the filling for each cake i will have again another half an inch and the board half and inch which comes up to one inch per cake. that means i am able to go up to 8 inches full when i have coverd with fondant. is it correct.? if so its wonderful.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 5

Except that you may have to add support half way through your cake if you're stacking.

And remember, if it's a catering situation, cake is served on a 5" or 6" plate, not a dinner plate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%