Can A Regular Laserjet Printer Be Used With The Edible Ink?

Decorating By laboti Updated 24 Jul 2013 , 5:36pm by hbquikcomjamesl

laboti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laboti Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:33am
post #1 of 10

icon_redface.gif xcuse my ignorance, but someone has told me that a reguler laserjet printer can be use to make edible images and i need your help on this one please!!!!!(of curse it has to be a new printer)

9 replies
ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:08am
post #2 of 10

Dam, I have no clue.

But would love to find out though.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:53am
post #3 of 10

You can use almost any epson or cannon printer for edible images as long as it has never been used with regular ink. You have to find a printer that the edible ink manufacturers have cartridges for. Go to their websites and they will usually list the compatible printers. I use Kopykake ink and edible frosting sheets and I know their website lists the different models of printers. I have a cannon but would recommend an epson (less problems according to all previous posts on this topic) HTH

laboti Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 10

Birthday: Jul 15
Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:53 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can use almost any epson or cannon printer for edible images as long as it has never been used with regular ink. You have to find a printer that the edible ink manufacturers have cartridges for. Go to their websites and they will usually list the compatible printers. I use Kopykake ink and edible frosting sheets and I know their website lists the different models of printers. I have a cannon but would recommend an epson (less problems according to all previous posts on this topic) HTH

thank you patty=) i knew someone would help me at cc i really learn so much from here everyday. and i will go to the website to check the list and again thank you so much!!!god bless!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 10

Laserjet printers can't be used because they use toner cartridges (dry powder), not liquid ink.

laboti Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:16am
post #6 of 10

thank you tiggy2 !

grandma kathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandma kathy Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 1:48am
post #7 of 10

have any of you tried a reg new printer for the edible ink ? if so which is the best ?icon_sad.gif

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 12:18am
post #8 of 10

Canon is by far the best due to the removable printhead and ability to clean the printhead. But, it is getting harder to find the printers that have the removable printheads such as the Canon MG5320 which I highly recommend.  We do sell them and they are in stock, but if you are looking to buy one outside of an edible printing company, you will have to search.  That is the easiest one to find, but still hard.  While we will be coming out with cartridges for the newer model, the lack of the removable printhead will definitely be a hinderance. So if you are thinking about buying an edible printer, first...make sure you are going to use it at least once per week, If not, have someone else print for you.  Second...If you were waiting to buy...do not wait, find and snatch up the MG 5320 as fast as you can as that printer will be better than any other you will be able to buy in the future...But then again, we have always found the best edible printing solutions and we are working on them as we speak!!!! Hope this helps!

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 1:47am
post #9 of 10

As a person who use to work in printer manufacturing, I would say no.  Every single printer that came down our manufacturing line was tested with ink to ensure they are working and the print quality was within specifications. Granted this was ~15 years ago, so manufacturing processes could have very well changed by now. 

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 5:36pm
post #10 of 10

I think perhaps somebody needs to research what "tdovewings" has said.

Of course, it's also reasonable to assume that any live-ink testing process would also involve purging the printhead to a degree that even most repair shops would not be equipped to do (a non-destructive equivalent to the "high-pressure industrial steam hose" I've alluded to in the past): otherwise, the amount of time the printers spend on warehouse and store shelves would all but guarantee that most if not all units would arrive hopelessly clogged.

At any rate, as "tiggy2" already said, the answer to the question actually raised in the thread subject is indeed "no," as there is no such thing as (and little hope for the development of) edible xerographic toner, or edible printing media that could go through a xerographic fuser without ruining both media and fuser. For that matter, while edible MicroDry ribbons might be theoretically possible (if ALPS had not given up on the technology completely), they don't exist either.

All edible printing technology that is either available or on the drawing board is inkjet-based.

There is, however, such a thing as edible 3D printing, and NASA is very interested in that technology. I don't think anything has been done with edible printing for cakes, but imagine being able to 3D-print custom decorations in fondant, gum-paste, royal, or modeling chocolate, more precisely than any human decorator could sculpt them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%