Fondant Or Modelling Chocolate?

Decorating By tori808 Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 9:10pm by kitty122000

tori808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tori808 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:29am
post #1 of 14

I'm a newbie, but have been asked to make a canoe cake. My plan is to make a rice krispie canoe on an ocean themed cake. The shows seem to have the top chefs covering their RCT creations in both fondant and modelling chocolate. Is there any benefit to using one over the other?
Please help, this is for next weekend and I am clueless! icon_confused.gif

13 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:22am
post #2 of 14

The best benefit I see is that you can completely smooth out seams on modeling chocolate.
Modeling chocolate sticks to itself, so you don't need water or any other type of glue to stick pieces together.

Rae

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:34am
post #3 of 14

where do you buy modeling chocolate?

tori808 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 14

So there isn't any difference in say, the weight or difficulty, that would favor one over the other? I just started working with modelling chocolate so I am still getting used to the feel. My canoe is about 18 inches long, its going to sit on two 12 by 18 sheet cakes, so I am not sure if the size matters. I know the chocolate will defintely taste better! Thanks for the reply!
msulli10, I have been using the recipe posted on the wilton website for their choc melts, I believe they call it candy clay. I am sure there are much better recipes out there!

msulli10 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks, but I think chocolate clay is different than modeling chocolate.

cgm_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgm_cakes Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:37pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

My understanding is it's just 2 different names for the same thing.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:57am
post #7 of 14
Quote:

They're basically the same thing.

Wilton markets candy melts, not real chocolate, so they often call it candy clay.

If you use real chocolate, you get modeling chocolate, chocolate plastique, chocolate leather, etc.

Rae

msulli10 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:58am
post #8 of 14

Thanks for the clarification.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:23am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgm_cakes

Quote:

My understanding is it's just 2 different names for the same thing.

That's what I think, too. I've used modeling chocolate b/c I just don't like the taste of fondant personally, and also because I can use it in conjunction with whipped cream icing. I've never covered a cake with it, but I've used it to make different figures, etc. Used it on my jungle cake to make the animals, and I also used it to make the tiara on my princess cake.

I think it's a little harder to work with, but the taste is much better! icon_smile.gif
HTH!
icon_cool.gif

tori808 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:30pm
post #10 of 14

Is it harder to make the modelling chocolate out of real chocolate as opposed to the candy melts? The melts are pretty easy, but they probably don't taste as good!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:34pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:

where do you buy modeling chocolate?

You make it. It's the same as chocolate clay.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:47pm
post #12 of 14

I use Mercken's chocolate/melts. They taste SO much better than Wilton -(I'm such a snob...I won't even look at Wilton! LOL!) They work really well.
When you are making it, it seems like with colored melts tend to excrete more oils, but I just blot it, and let it go in the fridge until it sets up. Then, I knead it a little at a time, until its pliable. It takes a few minutes to get it soft again after it sets up, but hang in there. The warmth of your hands helps get it going. icon_smile.gif
You can also color (I use Americolor) it after you've kneaded it to make it pliable again.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:55pm
post #13 of 14

I guess depending on where you look, chocolate clay can or cannot be the same as modeling chocolate. My understanding was always that modeling chocolate is basically melted chocolate and corn syrup where chocolate clay is a chocolate mixture that includes fondant as one of the ingredients. However, various sites do show recipes for "chocolate clay" that is nothing more than chocolate and corn syrup.

I guess to decide which you prefer you'll have to do some 'xperimentin'! icon_wink.gif

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:10pm
post #14 of 14

here's a tutorial I made on how to make candy clay.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%