Egg & Milk Free White Cake-Not Vegan

Baking By sweetartbakery Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 4:55pm by gabbenmom

sweetartbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetartbakery Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:06am
post #1 of 14

I know this has probably come up in the past, but I'm having a hard time finding an egg free and milk free cake that isn't gross. I found one on all recipes that got fabulous reviews.
something like this
flour, sugar, soy milk, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, vinegar.... sounded good, smelled good. baked and tasted like CRAP! seriously, it reminded me of meat, and how is that even possible? I think the soy maybe?!? yuck, poo, stink!

anyway. does anyone have one that even a nonvegan would like. the little boy just has allergies, so I don't have to worry about the typical vegan rules like most due with egg/milk free cake.

HELP!

13 replies
SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:14am
post #2 of 14

You need to get your hands on the book "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World." Excellent recipes in there that are dairy/egg free AND delicious!!! Also has dairy-free buttercream. I've made a few of the recipes and I guarantee that none of them are "yuck, poo, stink"!!! icon_lol.gif

sweetartbakery Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:39am
post #3 of 14

I'll have to order it. we don't even have a book store in this town. ugh. AMAZON here I come! really, you think the book is worth it? I hate to buy it and have a million funky ingredients for vegan (sugar subs, etc) when I really need just egg and milk free. I take it you have the book? are the recipes pretty standard because I can't get fancy ingredients around here! ugh. small town!

chocolatefan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatefan Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:01am
post #4 of 14

If you can find a cake mix that has no milk products (usually Duncan Hines) make a diet coke cake. I make them all the time and no one can guess that they are vegan. 1 cake mix and 1 can of diet soda - flavours to compliment (chocolate+diet coke white+diet 7up). Just mix and put in the oven. No eggs, no oil, no milk. Really moist cake - not great for decorating though. I usually buy DH frosting (also vegan), heat it in the microwave for a few seconds and then pour it over.

SpringFlour Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:10am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetartbakery

I'll have to order it. we don't even have a book store in this town. ugh. AMAZON here I come! really, you think the book is worth it? I hate to buy it and have a million funky ingredients for vegan (sugar subs, etc) when I really need just egg and milk free. I take it you have the book? are the recipes pretty standard because I can't get fancy ingredients around here! ugh. small town!

No!! Not weird ingredients at all!!! Soy milk, which I think you won't HATE in these recipes, and non-dairy margarine. I think the book suggests "Earth Balance," but I've used Nucoa margarine becasue I can always find it at my local stores.

Some of the recipes call for agave nectar or soy yogurt, and some other stuff, but I haven't tried those yet. I'll post the basic vanilla recipe in the book...if you like it, perhaps you'll be inspired to buy the book. I bought it because I have a vegan friend and I wanted to make her a birthday cake. Now I'm glad I have it because it so easy to pull a recipe out of here if I encounter someone with a dairy or egg allergy.

Golden Vanilla Cupcakes (from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World)
Makes one dozen cupcakes - doubled recipe makes 2 6" rounds.

1 cup soymilk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp cornstarch
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt (increase salt to 1/2 tsp if using oil instead of margarine)
1/2 cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened OR 1/3 cup canola oil (I've only used the oil, not margarine in this recipe)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract, caramel extract or more vanilla extract

1. Whisk soymilk and vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside to curdle.

2. If using margarine, sift flour,corn starch, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl and mix.

3. In a separate bowl, cream margarine and sugar until light and fluffy, but not more than 2 minutes. Beat in vanilla, and other extract, then alternate beating in soymilk mixture and dry ingredients.

4. If using oil: Beat together soymilk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla and other extract. Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix until no large lumps remain.

5. Bake cupcakes for 20-22 minutes at 350 degrees

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:02am
post #6 of 14

Not to take away from your question sweetartbakery, but may I ask Spring Flour a question? I was looking at the book you suggested on Amazon and noticed the vegan cookie book too. I wondered if you knew if it was any good. I have a son that is supposed to stay away from eggs and dairy so I need ideas. Thank you very much!

sweetartbakery Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:06am
post #7 of 14

oh no, springflour. that is the exact recipe that I found online and I thought it was so gross. I must hate soymilk. the smell baking was bad and the taste isn't really sweet, it has the meaty quality. if that is as good as it gets, I guess I'm stuck!

sweetartbakery Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 14

so I brought the cake to my day job today and forced a co-worker that is vegan to try it. she said it was great and that soy always smells that way. icon_smile.gif the end result is that I hate soy. who cares though as long as other people like it. icon_smile.gif that'll teach me to do my own taste testing!!

SpringFlour Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbenmom

Not to take away from your question sweetartbakery, but may I ask Spring Flour a question? I was looking at the book you suggested on Amazon and noticed the vegan cookie book too. I wondered if you knew if it was any good. I have a son that is supposed to stay away from eggs and dairy so I need ideas. Thank you very much!

I don't know, I haven't tried the cookie book. Sorry! But like I said, I love the cupcake book, so I would image the cookie book is good as well.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 14

Have you tried almond milk (Almond Breeze) - slightly different taste than soymilk. It doesn't seem to have the aftertaste that some of the soy milks have.

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:57pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

Have you tried almond milk (Almond Breeze) - slightly different taste than soymilk. It doesn't seem to have the aftertaste that some of the soy milks have.

For regualar cakes, this is a good option. It looks like this recipe is trying for soy "buttermilk". Soy milk does curdle when used with vinegar. I don't think that the almond milk does that.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:10pm
post #12 of 14

Maybe you could try using tofutti "sour cream" rather than the soy milk and vinegar? Might be a little better? Just a shot in the dark, but I know you can sub sour cream for buttermilk in norma non-vegan recipes. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:11pm
post #13 of 14

Also... you might check into a vegan mix?

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:55pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringFlour

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbenmom

I don't know, I haven't tried the cookie book. Sorry! But like I said, I love the cupcake book, so I would image the cookie book is good as well.

Thank you very much SpringFlour! I appreciate your help! I may just have to order both thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%