I Hope I Don't Get Blasted, But ...

Business By CWIL Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 2:51pm by CWIL

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 4

How do you guys determine pricing for fondant decorations, e.g. figures, etc.? My partner and I have the pricing down for cakes, BC, fondant, etc., but are at a loss as to what to charge for the "extras". Also, how about RK molds used as part of deco? Thx!

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 4

START .... with cost of ingredients and time.

Assume you are running a full fledge bakery with lots of employees (think "Duff"). And you have one employee who does nothing but these figures. What would be your expenses to cover the materials and equipment he/she would need to make the figures. How much time would it take this employee, times their hourly rate = your payroll expense? Don't forget to add in your add'l payroll expenses such as social security & other payroll taxes, cost of the accountant who handles your payroll, etc.

This is just your COST. THen you upcharge to cover overhead and profit.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 4

What Indy Said. Also, I will add more to something that is unusual, like a two headed toad with purple feet. LIttle lions and bears I can do faster.

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 4

Great! Thanks guys. We've got the cost and time down, but didn't know if there were other things that you take into consideration - complexity of design, etc. Would you still then just consider your materials and time and add on top of this or ....?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%