Fondant Cutout

Decorating By tranqlty Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 8:44pm by tranqlty

tranqlty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tranqlty Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 5

I have two cakes to make and I will be adding fondant cut outs. Both cakes will be covered in BC and smoothed, then i'll be adding the cutouts.
One I will be adding daises and the other will be stars, ABC's and 123's...How far in advance would you make the cutouts? I will be using a 50/50 mixture of gumpaste and fondant...I've done this in the past but had a problem of them being too dry and brittle...any suggestions? Also I want to add a 4in "2" to the top of the cake but worried about it being too brittle also since I have not been able to find tylose...suggestions?

And for my final questions...I usually attach with a little bit of buttercream but read somewhere where someone [and I'm sorry can't remember their name] stated they like to use ashley vicos karo syrup and water is this a 50/50 mix also or how is this made? is it better then buttercream? just wanting to avoid bleeding colors...TIA!!!

4 replies
AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 5

I recently read on one of the cricut threads that you can make the cutouts in advance, lay them in a ziploc bag and freeze them to keep them from getting completely hard. Then take out and let defrost before you're ready to use them. I'm trying it myself right now with some letters in the freezer that I plan to use Thursday.

If you can't find tylose you can use Wilton's Gum Tex instead.

I can't help with your last question, I haven't read anything about that.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 5

If you don't need them to form around the cake (like the side of a round cake) then you can cut them out in advance and let them dry. If you need them to bend then I always cut them right before putting them on the cake.

For the one on top that you need to stand on it's own I'd do it a few days in advance so it has time to dry out.

I have had them attached them with piping gel, corn syrup, water, vanilla, and gum glue (gumpaste and water.) Pretty much anything liquid will stick it. To avoid colors bleeding you want to use just a little bit of your 'glue'. If you use too much it can make your fondant gummy and could bleed.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 5

Melted chocolate also works as a good glue for heavier things.

tranqlty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tranqlty Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 5

so if I make all the cutout and go ahead and attach to cake, can I store in the fridge with no problems? The cake isn't needed until Sunday...I was planning on making the cut outs tonight [while I make daisies for my birthday cake for Saturday] so If I decorated Wednesday or Thursday and put in fridge would this be too early to keep until Sunday? I'm so sorry for all the questions...just trying to figure out a timeline where every thing turns out ok for this cake on Sunday...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%