Cake Serving Sizes

Decorating By kellikrause Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 11:42pm by kellikrause

kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 8

I know somewhere there has got to be a more realistic guide for cake serving sizes! Anyone.....please help me!

I don't think a 8 in round should be cut into 20 servings! Am I the only one? Here, would you like a crumb of cake?

Thanks!

7 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 8

Hi, according to my portion guide, an 8" round will give you 20 servings. But here is Earlene's portion guide.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

HTH. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 8

How are you cutting the cake? No you couldn't get 20 wedges out of it, but 20 1x2x4-5in pieces are an nice size of cake.

Have you baked this size and cut 20 servings from it?

I use wedding servings for all my cakes, no matter the occasion.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 8

"Realistic" guide? icon_confused.gif

A serving size is a pre-determined way to figure your pricing. The client can take that 8" round cake and cut it in half and serve it with two forks for all I care, but they are paying for the 24 servings it's designed to serve.

If their family eats like Jethro Bodine, then they need to buy a bigger cake. If you are providing larger than normal servings, then your price-per-serving needs to be bigger since they are getting more cake per serving.

I might order a sack of "6 orders of fries" but I'll pay more if the fries are large, as opposed to small, simply because a large order of fries costs more than a small order of fries ..... because there are more fries in the bag.

A can of Campbell's soup (the small can) says it will serve 2.5 people. Over my big 'ole white hind end, it will! icon_surprised.gif But I KNOW I eat more than what they determine a serving to be, so I buy more cans of soup.

There's a difference between the piece of cake we eat in front of the TV at midnight, and a piece of cake we eat for dessert at a wedding or a dinner.

People tend to hear "one inch" and they think "paper thin". It's not.

Here's a pic of a 1x2x4" piece of cake. A nice dessert size piece of cake.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156785 and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/3856884667/

What I tell folks when they bought an 8" round is, "This cake will serve 15-20, depending on how you cut it. The price is $xx.xx." I don't go into price-per-serving blah blah blah because bluntly, the customer only wants to know "how many does it feed and how much does it cost."

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 8

Indydebi - you are awesome

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

"Realistic" guide? icon_confused.gif

What I tell folks when they bought an 8" round is, "This cake will serve 15-20, depending on how you cut it. The price is $xx.xx." I don't go into price-per-serving blah blah blah because bluntly, the customer only wants to know "how many does it feed and how much does it cost."

That's how I say my servings are, I use the party serving as my low and the wedding serving as my high and then quote a price, I don't go into the price per slice, and then I have "a standard serving size is x-x"

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:41pm
post #7 of 8

8" round will give 24 1"x2"x4" servings. That is NOT a crumb of cake! That is 8 cubic inches of cake. Plenty of cake.

kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 8

thanks ladies!! I understand now...we are cutting cubes, not wedges. I automatically think wedges when it comes to round. Thank you so much for sharing.

Indydebi- thanks for the pictures, it helped a lot!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%