Fondant Mats- Substitutions???

Decorating By rhopar33 Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 3:15pm by bisbqueenb

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 4

I need to roll some fondant but my expensive mat is all torn and can't be used. Does anyone have any suggestions for a substitute material? I thought I heard of people using vinyl?? If so, where can I get this? Any advice is appreciated!


3 replies
Teresa1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teresa1976 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 4

I had read on here some time ago about someone who used white board or dry erase board material that they purchased from a home improvement store. I think you can get it cut to the size you need as well. I haven't checked into this yet but I will be soon, my mat is also going downhill fast.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 4

I use vinyl that I purchased at the fabric store.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 4

I use a hard plastic quilting cutting mat from the fabric department to roll out fondant. Also have a piece of the clear plastic vinyl that I can use to lift the oversized pieces of fondant and place the rolled out fondant over the cake. I use a little cornstarch on both the mat and vinyl. For small pieces of both fondant or gumpaste, I also have several plastic cutting mats from the Dollar Stores....2 for $1.00.

Quote by @%username% on %date%