Sick Of Wilton Icing....

Baking By beachmama Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 1:18pm by _Jamie_

beachmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachmama Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:47am
post #1 of 25

Hello folks! I have used the Wilton BC recipe forever but want something different. I've just about gone cross-eyed reading recipes and still can't find what I need- an easy buttercream that is good for decorating and doesn't need to be refrigerated. What should I try? Thanks for any help you can give! icon_smile.gif

24 replies
flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 12:01pm
post #2 of 25

I also used the Wilton BC and have just started playing around with indydebi's BC. My family misses the butter taste so I am going to try replacing some of the Crisco with butter.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 25

I use the Buttercream Dream receipe found on this site. Instead of 5 TBS. of milk, I use heavy cream..yumyum...good stuff. This receipe uses butter and crisco and is the only buttercream I use besides SMBC.

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 25

Indydebi's icing is great.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing
It's a nice pure white, not like the Wilton's one. It crusts nicely and is delicious. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 25

Another vote for Indydebi's recipe. Smooth, tasty, crusts beautifully.

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 25

Never use anything else since I tried Indydebi's recipe.

Aurora_333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora_333 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 25

I just made cupcakes for my daughter's class. I used Indydebi's recipe and it was a big hit. Her teacher said they were the best cupcakes she has ever had.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 25

I am an Indydeb fan also.

Does Buttercream Dream have to be refrigerated?

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 25

For those of you who use the Indydebi icing recipe...Can you taste the Dreamwhip in it? I don't like the taste of Dream Whip as a whipped topping. Just wondering if you can actually taste it in the icing or if it's used more for texture.

Peridot Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:03pm
post #10 of 25

No - you definitely cannot taste the Dream Whip. It is a great icing and it is not too sweet.

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:19pm
post #11 of 25

With the milk in the recipe, I need to refridge right? or is there a substitute that would work for the milk?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 7:14pm
post #12 of 25

IMBC

That is all.

icon_biggrin.gif

Peridot Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:50am
post #13 of 25

I use coffee creamer in place of milk and then you do not have to refrigerate.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:10am
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

I am an Indydeb fan also.

Does Buttercream Dream have to be refrigerated?

No it doesn't.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:32am
post #15 of 25

I've tried Indy's recipe and liked it. I think I'm just use to buttercream dream though and like how it's mostly butter. I use only 2/3 cup high ratio in the recipe.

Honestly though, SMBC is the one I really love to eat. I don't care for cake really or icing too much but SMBC I could eat with a spoon.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 6:10am
post #16 of 25

I love IMBC , but it isn't pure white (due to butter) and doesn't do well in the heat. It's sooo delicious though!!!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:20am
post #17 of 25

SMBC. Beats WT icng any day!

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 8:54am
post #18 of 25

My favorite is a mix of about 2 parts IMBC to 1 part Buttercream Dream . I also make the Dream Buttercream with heavy cream instead of milk. It's the closest to whipped cream flavor I can get without worrying about all the melting. With the IMBC I skip the part about boiling the egg whites to a certain temp because I sub them with pasteurized powdered egg whites. I just warm them up over a double boiler w/sugar to dissolve, and then whip it up and add the butter. Might be considered more of a French Buttercream now that I think about it. Anyway, it's a bit of work but sooooo worth the effort for me because of the taste and texture.

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 9:05am
post #19 of 25

Oops, I just went back realized you're looking for something that doesn't have to be refrigerated. I've always refrigerated the hybrid frosting I mentioned above, but I've been working on how to get it to be stable and safe for storage at room temp. I found a recipe on another site that was similar to the IMBC I make, but it substituted a portion of the butter with hi-ratio shortening. This resulted in a buttercream that was safe to store at room temp for weeks. I just haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet. I'd also sub the heavy cream in the Buttercream Dream with coffee creamer as someone else stated.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 9:19am
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith

With the milk in the recipe, I need to refridge right? or is there a substitute that would work for the milk?

no, you dont need to refridegerate it. there is actually very little milk in the recipe, and sugar acts a preservative anyway. theres more info on here about the science of how it works too.

i like a traditional bc too - ie 6oz butter, 12 oz ps, milk and flavouring. but usually use indydebis.
xx

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:25pm
post #21 of 25

This is the recipe I have been using. Originally it's under the recipe category here for Strawberry Buttercream Filling:
3 cups butter, room temperature
1 cup vegetable shortening
2 32 oz. bags 10X sugar (powdered sugar)
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 over-flowing Tablespoon Creme Bouquet
Dash Salt

It crusts over beautifully and the taste is amazing! It also makes a HUGE batch of icing.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:42pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchristi27

This is the recipe I have been using. Originally it's under the recipe category here for Strawberry Buttercream Filling:
3 cups butter, room temperature
1 cup vegetable shortening
2 32 oz. bags 10X sugar (powdered sugar)
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 over-flowing Tablespoon Creme Bouquet
Dash Salt

It crusts over beautifully and the taste is amazing! It also makes a HUGE batch of icing.

Should that be 3 sticks of butter?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:59pm
post #23 of 25

probably not. 4 cups of fat to 4 pounds of sugar would work fine.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:15pm
post #24 of 25

Thanks Leah, your right. I haven't had my morning cup of coffee yet...need to wake up. thumbs_up.gif

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:18pm
post #25 of 25

SMBC...I used Wilton prior to that when I started out, got sick of it too. Tried another popular shortening based, was even worse.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%