Vegan Cake- Is $20 Too Much?

Decorating By sweetartbakery Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 6:26am by summerki

sweetartbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetartbakery Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:10am
post #1 of 37

I'm making my firs Vegan cake this month. The ingredients are so much more expensive (because it's for allergy reasons, so nothing processed, even vanilla!). Anyway, I have my normal cake pices solid, this one seems excessive. using my normal formula, I get about $20 for a single layer 8 inch cake... That just seems ! What do you guys charge? The ingredients were about $12, so of which I can use somewhere else I guess.

36 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:10am
post #2 of 37

$999. I price less than Charm City in order to remain competative. icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gif

Seriously, though here's ALL you need to take into consideratoin:
1) cost of ingredients including shipping or gas + wear and tear on your vehicle to go to the store
2) cost of utilities used while making and decorating: electricity, gas, water.
3) how long it took you x how much you want to make per hour

If you know that, then you can figure out how much to charge for ANY cake.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:23am
post #3 of 37

Doesn't that figure to $1.66/serving? Doesn't sound like too much to me.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:45am
post #4 of 37

So if I'm reading and understanding correctly your costs are $12 and you're asking if $20 is too much to charge?

You would walk away with $8 before the cost of utilities, box, board, etc?

I say that $20 is not enough. You'd be making less then $1 an hr to shop, mix, bake, fill, ice, clean up, and package.

Is that correct? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:49am
post #5 of 37

I'm in one of the vegan organic granola hot spots of the US - Burlington, VT. Charge at least $40 for a specialty ingredient cake - it's worth it. Sourcing the ingredients is enough trouble as it is!

sweetartbakery Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:56am
post #6 of 37

oh, no I was including all costs but labor. for normal cakes I charge a flat $1 per serving for just the cake, nothing else. The rest is additional based on time (I pay myself $20 an hour). so normally a nondecorated cake is pretty cheap. I don't know. I guess it's the price it should be, but I just think of what I would say if someone asked $20 for a little flat pancake of a thing with no filling.

then again, there is nowhere around her that does vegan stuff so I guess they woud probably pay whatever to give their kid a birthday cake. I suppose they MUST be aware of how much these ingredients cost since they have to feed the kid anyway.

Humph...

oh, and I also keep my price under charm city. when someone gasps at $450, I remind them that the closest place is awesome and they can check their prices. Then I attach Pink Cake Box, Carols, and Charm City. It's true, they are all AWESOME, but I'm in a small town where people are poor and we are hours from all of them icon_smile.gif How about that for a side bar!

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:11am
post #7 of 37

No $20 is too cheap. Have you checked out vegan prices? Super expensive.

sweetartbakery Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:24am
post #8 of 37

I couldn't find any local vegan prices because there aren't local bakeries that do it. with cost of living being so different all over country I didn't want to use something off amazon icon_smile.gif

now I don't feel so bad though since every seems to get that they are expensive. i guess it's just out of my normal because i'm used to seeing a bigger cake for the same amount.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:27am
post #9 of 37

My base price for a BC 8" round is $50.

Deb_ Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:35am
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetartbakery

then again, there is nowhere around her that does vegan stuff

Oh, ok I gotcha now. A "Vegan custom cake" to me would be considered a "specialty item".

Premium, hard to find ingredients....I'm sure a client in the market for this sort of cake is expecting to pay more.

I would charge the extra ingredient cost on top of your regular base price.

sweetartbakery Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 12:29pm
post #11 of 37

Prterrell- wow, really! I could never get that much around here. for a decorated one, sure. Is the cost of living high where you are?

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:31pm
post #12 of 37

see WWWW.babycakes.com

or cafe gratitute.com

I am a vegan and rawvegan and cakes cakes sell for $55-60 in NYC.

I would charge at least $49-$59. It is all organic.

Type vegan cakes in your area and see what other bakers charge.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:51pm
post #13 of 37

I start decorated 8" party cakes at $75.00.. so no... I don't think $20.00 is too much at all. Vegan ingredients are pricey... I'd charge more for a vegan version.

Obviously they have know that your equipment has touhed animals products before, but some vegans wouldn't appreciate that fact so it is worth bringing up with them.

You say you are paying yourself $20/hour, but are you really? How many hours does it take you to bake/decoate/clean up? I doubt it's 1 hour, and if you are charging $20 for an 8" cake... even if it takes you an hour, you are not getting $20/hour... you are getting $8/hour after your ingredients. Definitely not enough.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:39pm
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

Quote:

then again, there is nowhere around her that does vegan stuff

Oh, ok I gotcha now. A "Vegan custom cake" to me would be considered a "specialty item".

Premium, hard to find ingredients....I'm sure a client in the market for this sort of cake is expecting to pay more.

I would charge the extra ingredient cost on top of your regular base price.

I agree.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:02pm
post #15 of 37

I charge about $60 for a simple 8" round, unless I like you, then I charge $59. For vegan it would be a little more than that if I can use the leftover ingredients, or a lot more if I can't.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:22pm
post #16 of 37

I wouldn't worry about them being offended at the price for a "flat pancake." Vegans know how expensive stuff is, and they're going to expect it not to be cheap. You charge $20 and they will rob you blind to make more.
Plus, are you going to be able to use what ingredients are leftover? Do you have a use for chickpea/brown rice flour/agave syrup...etc. When I have to purchase a specialty ingredient for a cake, I charge them for the ENTIRE package, not just the cup or ... I used. I don't think you're being completely honest with yourself about the cost.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:33pm
post #17 of 37

Vegan baking is not the same as gluten free. So you can use wheat flour and vegan cane sugar which you can use in your normal baking. icon_smile.gif Where it will get you is in the fat and egg substitutes. Since vegan "butter" is pricier than normal butter and egg replacers are pricier than just eggs. If you need sour cream ou will have to use the soy version which is more than the dairy version.

Vegan baking doesn't have to be all spelt flour and wheatgrass... icon_wink.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 7:46pm
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I charge about $60 for a simple 8" round, unless I like you, then I charge $59. For vegan it would be a little more than that if I can use the leftover ingredients, or a lot more if I can't.

LOL! icon_lol.gif You are too funny!

sweetartbakery Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:25am
post #19 of 37

uh, I don't think I should charge anything for this now. GROSS! I made one tonight and the smell was even bad. I think maybe I just hate soymilk???? Guess I'll have to try another recipe.

this isn't for an actual vegan, it's just a little boy allergic to eggs and milk and most recipes avoiding those are vegan by nature. I'm going to have to find another recipe!
maybe I should have used the water instead of soymilk. I thought the vanilla milk would have been better?!

Deb_ Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:04am
post #20 of 37

Maybe you should try PM'ing kellertur....she's a member here.

She's a Vegan baker and I know she's very helpful and could maybe share one of her recipes with you. I think she even has some loaded here in the recipe section.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:21am
post #21 of 37

Vegan stuff is not cheap so charge what you have to charge.

costumeczar Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:22am
post #22 of 37
Quote:

uh, I don't think I should charge anything for this now. GROSS! I made one tonight and the smell was even bad. I think maybe I just hate soymilk???? Guess I'll have to try another recipe.

this isn't for an actual vegan, it's just a little boy allergic to eggs and milk and most recipes avoiding those are vegan by nature. I'm going to have to find another recipe!
maybe I should have used the water instead of soymilk. I thought the vanilla milk would have been better?!

Don't substitutwe water, there's no fat in that! The soymilk should have worked. What egg substitute did you use? I use the ener-g but I put a little more than it says to in the water when I mix it up, and you need to make sure that you let it sit for a little bit before you put it in the batter.

For the butter, if you can start with a recipe that uses oil instead of butter you've won half the battle there. Do you want to post the recipe that you used? Not every recipe is good for a vegan translation icon_smile.gif

sweetartbakery Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:35am
post #23 of 37

the recipe exactly: just said to mix and bake. the batter didn't taste bad at all. reminded me of a blond brownie.
1.5 c flour
1 c sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup oil
1 tbs white vinegar
1 inch of seeds from vanilla bean (he's allergic to the color in normal vanilla, so I used this instead of 1 tsp of extract)
1 cup vanilla soy milk.

I thought this sounded good. the smell is just nasty and it's got a meaty taste, don't know how that is even possible!!!????

costumeczar Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:01am
post #24 of 37

Meaty taste...wow...not good! Try this one:

4 1/2 c. AP flour
2 1/4 c. sugar
2 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 1/4 c. vanilla soy milk
2 Tbsp vanilla (you can make vanilla by putting vanilla bean in vodka)
3/4 c. veg oil
3 egg equivalents (Try the Ener-g brand)

Line 3- 8" pans, preheat oven to 350. Combine dry ingredients, then add wet ingredients to flour mix. Beat for 2 minutes. Bake for 20-30 minutes, tester should come out clean. Don't overbake, cool on a cooling rack.

Can he eat chocolate and soy? The chocolate vegan cakes taste better than vanilla, IMO.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:05am
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:08am
post #26 of 37

And don't forget on my birthday to charge $499 and not $500!

sweetartbakery Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:10am
post #27 of 37

stink. everyone on another thread gave me recipes too and they aren't too far off from mine and recipeczar's. I think it might be that I hate soy milk. I'm going to try another liquid. everyone says that they are good. is it possible that I'm just nuts! icon_smile.gif but I really think they taste bad! SO bad that I would be embarrassed to give them to someone even for free!

AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:30am
post #28 of 37

Try Scott Clark Woolley's Banana Cake recipe. It's vegan and it's good. My vegan clients really like it.

Vegans also understand how the cakes taste...unless they are new vegans. They understand that the cakes are dense and thick and seem more like a pound cake muffin. We don't like most of the vegan recipes we make, however, our vegan clients do.

If they don't have nut allergies, you can also use almond milk. You can also use rice milk, rice flour, etc.

costumeczar Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:19pm
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

And don't forget on my birthday to charge $499 and not $500!

Look at you looking for discounts already! When is your birthday? I have a "special" cake in mind for you icon_twisted.gif

sweetartbakery Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:27pm
post #30 of 37

it's for an allergy kid, so I don't think they'll understand the taste... I will say that I brought a piece to work today to have a former vegan try it. She said it was great, and that the smell is normal...it's just the soy and that is always smells like that when you cook it. Well, that makes me feel better. I guess I'll just think that it's gross! I might add a little cinnamon to try to tone down the soy flavor. he's allergic to nuts too, so almond flavor is out.

thanks for all your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%