Need Golfing Couple Cake Topper For Bff's Wedding! Help!

Decorating By Classycakes Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 4:57pm by superwawa

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 1:11am
post #1 of 10

I've searched and searched for a golfing couple cake topper but I can't find one anywhere. I'm making my best friend's wedding cake. I don't feel confident enough to make my own figurine topper so I figured I would buy one. Anyone see anything like this or know where I can buy one? I don't want to spend a lot of money on it as I'm giving them the cake as my present to them. It doesn't matter if it's ceramic or plastic or molded fondant as long as it's nice.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be very much appreciated!

9 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:46am
post #2 of 10
Classycakes Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you Jamm - I'll check out the first site.

I normally hate these type of toppers but I'm really stumped. I'm doing a three tier, white fondant cake with two fondant twisting drapes or "paths" which will represent their road of life. Two separate paths twist around the cake and meet up and join into one towards the top tier.

It will be a simple but classy style of cake. They believe in the "two hearts as one" type of philosophy so I will add s/p hearts into some tiny s/p rose bouquets. On the hearts, I'll put the names of their children so these little bouquets will be scattered along their "path".

Their passion is golf - they just love the game! To me, I need to include it some way because it truly represents them as a couple. But golf theme just does not go well with classy icon_cry.gif

I thought if I made a bigger heart to go on the top tier and in front of the heart had a bride and groom with golf clubs or a golf bag peeking out behind them, maybe it would mesh well.

I'm just finding it so hard to find the right thing to go with the style of cake I have in mind.

Why is it so much harder to find the perfect look for people who mean so much to you????

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 10

What about doing a golf ball as a topper. Maybe cover a styro ball in white fondant and do the indententions with a gp boning tool or something. Then maybe you could do some of the drape as kind of a "nest" for the ball so that it would stay in place. Maybe that would keep with the elegant theme??

Just a thought. Maybe somebody else will have a great idea.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks so much for your ideas and links. The last link showing the silhouette of both golfers might work. I'll give that some thought.

The figurines look really nice but only the man is golfing - not the woman.

Maybe I'll try some golf shops. Think they would have something? If I found the right thing, I wouldn't even mind dismantling it. Like, for example, a clock or an award type thingy. I'd rip it apart nice and quick!!!

I don't know why I'm obsessing over this!!!!! I must be crazy!!!!! icon_lol.gif

The world is full of women golfers - you wouldn't think it would be so hard to find something suitable!

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 10

As soon as you mentioned the paths leading to one, I thought why not a golf cart? This one is sweet and classy I think - wood versus resin. HTH (from a woman golfer icon_lol.gif )

http://cgi.ebay.com/Golf-Wedding-CakeTopper-Gulf-Sports-Theme-Cake-Topper_W0QQitemZ390085395045QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad2e6c265

Classycakes Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:37pm
post #8 of 10

Superwawa - you are SUPER!!!! That would be perfect!!!

It's wedding & golf, tasteful and cute - IT'S AWESOME!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Gotta go and order me a cake topper!!!!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwawa

As soon as you mentioned the paths leading to one, I thought why not a golf cart? This one is sweet and classy I think - wood versus resin. HTH (from a woman golfer icon_lol.gif )

http://cgi.ebay.com/Golf-Wedding-CakeTopper-Gulf-Sports-Theme-Cake-Topper_W0QQitemZ390085395045QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad2e6c265

That one is PERFECT!

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:57pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classycakes

Superwawa - you are SUPER!!!! That would be perfect!!!

It's wedding & golf, tasteful and cute - IT'S AWESOME!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Gotta go and order me a cake topper!!!!

Glad it was what you had in mind - I am not a fan of the plastic toppers either.

If you are not familiar with ebay, this seller has a pretty good feedback record and also has the "buy it now" option for this item, which means you can actually buy it direct and not have to do it through an auction. I figured if you really liked it it would be worth the cost and shipping fees. Also, you can see they will update the hair color on the figures for no extra cost.

Also, I noticed the seller (Splendorlocity) also has an Etsy store, but this topper was not on there, and also has a good feedback record on there.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%