How Far In Advance Do You Bake/decorate Your Cakes?

Decorating By CutsieCupcake Updated 31 Jan 2010 , 9:33pm by prterrell

CutsieCupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutsieCupcake Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 3

I'm new to this business, and everything I've learned thus far has been self-taught...

But, I'm needing some advice. I'm decorating only in buttercream as of now (no fondant yet). How far in advance do you bake and decorate your cakes? (Same day, two days, etc.?)

Just curious if there is a rule of thumb.

Thanks!

2 replies
ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 3

Well I usually bake two days ahead of time.

Usually bake at midnight. Let it rest over night.

fill and crumb coat in the afternoonish. (let cake settle a lil more to avoid a bulge)

and decorate again at night sometimes well in to the next morning. icon_biggrin.gif

I love it cause I have peace and quiet . My kiddos are asleep and I can consentrate.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 3

Depends on how busy I am that week with other stuff, how many cakes I'm making, how elaborate those cakes are, whether I'm doing all BC or covering in fondant, whether I'm doing a filling that requires refrigeration.

For example, I'm making my nephew's 2nd b'day cake. Party is on Saturday, but they live 8 hours from us, so we are driving up on Fri. I'll be baking the cake Wed and decorating it Thurs (although, I'll be starting on the deco sooner than that as I have fondant/gumpaste figures going on it).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%