Does My Cake Have Chicken Pox?

Decorating By rcolson13 Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 12:04am by rcolson13

rcolson13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcolson13 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 9

I iced my cake last night. This morning there were little green and white spots in my buttercream. Has anyone had this problem before? I added a lot of gel color to the icing to turn it navy, but I have never heard that turning into a problem. Thanks!

8 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 9

is your house real warm? I had black bc do that to me, it seperated into green and white. heat was on. during the summer I never had a problem with the air conditioner on. IMO that is one possilbity.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 9

What icing recipe did you use?
What exact ingredienst did you use?
What brand of coloring?
How was the cake stored overnight? (If on counter, what was ambient room temp?)

rcolson13 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 9

I used an american buttercream recipe with half crisco and half butter. It's from designmeacake.com. The coloring is wilton. The cake was stored overnight on my turntable with a cover loosely over it (to keep dust and such off of it). My house got up to 71 or so.

rcolson13 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 9

Here is a pic
LL

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 9

It appears as thought the buttercream was not thoroughly mixed. The green parts are the bits of shortening that were not creamed with the rest of the ingredients.

As an instructor, I see it often in students' icings and the most common culprit in not mixing the icing long enough.

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 9

Also, if you used butter and it was not soft enough it will not cream properly and will leave spots like that.

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:52pm
post #8 of 9

I agree with Jill & JoJo. It needed to be mixed longer. I've had the same problem. Now I cream the shortening,butter & milk throughly before adding the PS and flavoring.

HTH

rcolson13 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 12:04am
post #9 of 9

oooooh, okay. Thank you for your help! I must have been in a rush when I made this batch

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%