Quesiton About Propriety

Business By Kitagrl Updated 31 Jan 2010 , 3:24am by jones5cm

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:20am
post #1 of 7

Met with a client today...very nice (actually I wrote earlier about a mom with a handicapped daughter, this was her and she was really nice). Anyway fast forward to the end of the meeting when she told me she'd love it if I could pop into the party for a few minutes to say hi to everyone and see her daughter with the cake. I smiled and told her I'd check my schedule and for her to remind me closer to the date and I would look and see.

Would you guys do this if you had time? Is it weird, do you think? If she asks me again (I gave her the "out" to change her mind by not really answering) should I go for a few minutes? They don't live far from me.

I'm not a super social "butterfly" so I'm unsure...

6 replies
SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:32am
post #2 of 7

Today I delivered a cake to a party to which I was invited. I knew neither the birthday boy nor the parents. My husband works with both of them, so they invited us to go. I also am not a social butterfly...at least not when I don't know anyone in the room. I was glad to be tasked with cutting the cake so I could make myself useful and not have to socialize too much. icon_razz.gif

I'd say, if you don't want to go, then don't. It's OK to say that your schedule won't allow it. I think it's funny when people invite someone to a party when they are only barely acquaintances. To me, a party is a celebration with those you care about.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:58am
post #3 of 7

She may have just wanted you to get the chance to see how happy you made the bday girl!! Some bakers really groove on that, and some people know that! I would say go with your gut, and if you totally don't feel comfortable, politely tell her you can't make it. But if you think it might be fun... GO FOR IT! Personally, if I weren't super busy, I'd stop by just for a moment. It would be a great opportunity to see the sweet little bday girl, and let the other guests put a face with this amazing cake so they'll feel good about coming to you for THEIR next event! thumbs_up.gif

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 3:08am
post #4 of 7

This happens to me often. Over the summer I had to deliver a guitar to a venue with teenagers everywhere and a band was playing. The mother insisted I stand around and take it from the back when they announced Happy Birthday to the twin boys. I told her politely that I would not be able to stay. She said it would be great for me to see how happy the boys would be. She sent me a picture later in the week of them with their cake! icon_biggrin.gif I personally don't have time to stand around. I like to drop and go! Just go with your gut feeling. If you are not comfortable then just make an excuse for leaving icon_biggrin.gif

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 3:10am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

Personally, if I weren't super busy, I'd stop by just for a moment. It would be a great opportunity to see the sweet little bday girl, and let the other guests put a face with this amazing cake so they'll feel good about coming to you for THEIR next event!

Good point! A good bit of advertising!

Flintstone691961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flintstone691961 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 3:14am
post #6 of 7

I went to an irish wedding, didn't know the couple until they ordered the cake, it was a lot of fun....

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 3:24am
post #7 of 7

I say go with your gut...but I had the same experience once and what made me uncomfortable was when the other guests made over me with comments on my cake decorating skills. Of course we love to hear those things, it's great for our confidence; but it was to the point of ignoring the b-day girl! I wanted to crawl under a rockicon_smile.gif I now only attend for family and close friends. period!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%