Customer Complaint

Decorating By nicoles0305 Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 10:24pm by cylstrial

nicoles0305 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0305 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 22

So a customer picked up the cake today and then emailed me later that the figurine fell apart when they lifted it up and it crumbled so now they have to go buy another cake. This is my first issue like this and I'm not sure how to handle it. Obviously I want to reimburse part of the money, but I also did put some time and money into it. How would you handle the situation? TIA!

ETA: Before the cake left my posession, I had put the figurine onto the cake for photos, but took it off for transport. I had no issues with it falling apart or anything, so I'm sure it should have been sturdy enough.

21 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 22

So why do they have to buy another cake? Did the cake get damaged too? Because if the figure crumbled, it would seem to me that they just need a topper - not a new cake.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 22

crumbled? The cake or the figurine?

Why would they have to buy a whole new cake?

Do you have pictures? That might help.

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 22

They need an entire new cake just for the figurine falling off?? icon_confused.gif

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 22

why do they have to buy another cake just because the figurine fell apart? Did it fall apart when the picked the cake up or when they picked the figurine up? If the figurine fell apart when they picked it up then I would say that it's their fault, it is after all just food and is not indistructable. I would ask them to send me a picture.

By the way I am not a professional, so this is just my personal opinion.

cylstrial Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by amytracy1981

By the way I am not a professional, so this is just my personal oppinion.

Apparently, we ALL had the same thoughts! icon_biggrin.gif

nicoles0305 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:17pm
post #7 of 22

From what she said in the email, the figurine crumbled. This lady can be very melodramatic, so it makes me wonder how bad it actually was. And from what she said, it fell apart when she picked the figurine up.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 22

I find it really hard to believe the figure fell apart with regular lifting.. She probably crushed it by accident and then blamed you.... at any rate I would ask to see apicture of how bad it really is.. Other than that I would not offer any refund.. Cake is fine..

You know what shape it was in when it left your care so you are no longer responsible for it when it leaves.. Does the grocery store give you another cake if you drop it in their parking lot??? Not likely!!

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:30pm
post #9 of 22

Still can't figure out why she would need to buy a whole new cake just because a figurine is broken.

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:33pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Quote:

And from what she said, it fell apart when she picked the figurine up.

She probably wasn't very careful when she picked it up. Non-cake people don't realize that it is sugar and therefore is a lot more delicate then a plastic figurine would be. If she was picking up the figurine and she broke it, it is not your fault.

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:33pm
post #11 of 22

If you don't work with her you will have a P.O.'d customer, so why not refund the price of the topper? It makes no sense that she had to buy another cake.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:34pm
post #12 of 22

I agree with all the above comments. Her words were crumbled? Not broke? Hard to believe it crumbled, and lets just say for good measure it did "crumble" sounds like an issue of not being careful. Crumbled to me means little pieces of figure, which means it was crushed. Its not titanium!

And a whole new cake.... Puhlease!! the cake tastes the same figure or not, and you put work in to it. I wouldn't give a refund, but if its something you want to smooth over so you don't get bad reviews from her, then I'd offer a discount on the next cake, like 10% or $15 off a cake of $75 or more. But not a refund.

nicoles0305 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:52pm
post #13 of 22

Thanks everyone for the input.

The customer hasn't asked for a refund yet, so I'm just kind of preparing for what the next step may be. I figured I wouldn't offer any refund until she asks. Is that what you would do?

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:59am
post #14 of 22

I can't imagine why in the world she needed to buy a whole new cake icon_confused.gif

I wouldn't offer a refund unless she asks for one and then just for the cost of the topper. I would mention to her that you are surprised that it fell apart since you put it on the cake for a picture and removed it and it stayed together just fine.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:24am
post #15 of 22

Yep - sounds like she wasn't careful with it... I'd ask for a picture, saying that you are surprised that it crumbled as you handled it for pictures and it was fine.... and that pictures would help you to know what happened with it.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:32am
post #16 of 22

I'm still trying to figure out why they had to buy a whole new cake. That doesn't make any sense to me.

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:36am
post #17 of 22

I have it in my contract, that they have to initial so they can't say they didn't know, if they're choosing a customer pick-up instead of me delivering it, after they sign off on it and it leaves my hands, ANYTHING that happens thereafter is NOT my problem.

I, too, am not sure why they'd need a whole other cake because of a topper issue. Sounds like they're playing you to get money back, which must be working since you want to refund them!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:43am
post #18 of 22

IF she asks for any sort of refund then your reply should be for her to either bring back the cake/topper or send you a picture.

It sounds like she dropped the cake/figure.

I hope this ends amicably for you.

Good luck!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:59am
post #19 of 22

I wouldn't bother asking for a picture because at this point, she can do any damage she wants to the topper and say "look what happend," kwim ? I doubt you could trust a picture at this point.

That's very strange she said it required her to buy an entirely new cake. That's the avenue I would be pursuing, not what happened to the topper. Something is fishy here!

YoCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YoCake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:34am
post #20 of 22

I had something similar happen to me this past summer. A client sent her husband to pick up a buttercream cake. We did not have a box wide enough to set the cake in, so we used a full sheet box. We put slip guards underneath it, placed and secured it in the vehicle for him, told him how to drive, and off and away he went. That was at 2pm.

At 6:30, the wife calls to say that the cake was ruined because it wasn't boxed properly. (Now, mind you, the cake was a 12" on a 14" board, so there was a bumper... she was trying to claim that the cake slid around and damaged the sides). She wanted me to offer the money back. I told her that once it leaves the shop, it is out of our hands, but if she brought it back, I would definitely stay late and fix it for her. However I was not going to refund it.

Well guess what? She declined my offer to repair the cake, which makes me wonder if the cake was damaged in the first place. I think she just wanted to have her cake for free and eat it too.

The next time you send out a cake, make sure the person initials something that states it is out of your hands once it leaves your place of business. It sounds to me that this lady is trying to get her money back from you. I have had an open shop for two years, and this does happen.....be careful!!

mireillea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mireillea Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:07pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDomesticDiva

if they're choosing a customer pick-up instead of me delivering it, after they sign off on it and it leaves my hands, ANYTHING that happens thereafter is NOT my problem.

Domestic Diva, I so agree!

cylstrial Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 10:24pm
post #22 of 22

So what happened? Did she ask for a refund?

If anything, I would only refund the cost of the topper. I think it's apparent that the cake wasn't damaged.

Let us know what happened!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%