What Is The % Of Fat On Hi Ratio Shortening?

Decorating By sandykay Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 2:06am by JustToEatCake

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 5

Can anyone tell me what the % read on Hi Fat Shortening, I'm trying to see if one I have found compares. I don't mind ordering it, but if I can avoid paying shipping cost that would be great. I have never used it before so I don't know the %.

4 replies
GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 5

Sweetex has about 12 or 13% per serving of fat, with 3% saturated. Its what gives your American buttercream a silky smooth finish to your icing and a softer mouth-feel to the taste.

This website offers Sweetex in 1-lb sizes for those persons who don't wish to purchase a 50-lb block.

www.shopbakersnook dot com

An alternative to eating shortening, would be to try making Swiss/Italian Meringue buttercream. You won't be disappointed! Promise!

HTH! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

An alternative to eating shortening, would be to try making Swiss/Italian Meringue buttercream. You won't be disappointed! Promise!

HTH! thumbs_up.gif

Oh yes! SMBC is absolutely delicious!! icon_biggrin.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 5

All shortening is 100% fat.

All shortening has emulsifiers.

The difference between hi-ratio and all purpose shortening is the amount emulsifiers.

A shortening that contains trans fat doesn't make it hi-ratio.
(And FYI, there are now hi-ratio shortenings that are trans fat free, such as SweetexZ.)

If the shortening doesn't say either "cake and icing shortening" or "icing shortening" then it's not hi-ratio. icon_smile.gif

Additionally, you won't find hi-ratio shortening in retail grocery stores. icon_sad.gif

HTH

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:06am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

HTH! thumbs_up.gif

Oh yes! SMBC is absolutely delicious!! icon_biggrin.gif

I certainly have to try SMBC because I totally do not like IMBC. It's like I am eating a stick of butter (have a bowl in the fridge right now). Don't ask me why it's OK with me to eat shortening, I guess no taste but IMBC...forget it. It does look very pretty though. Even if I liked it I couldn't make it much because I don't have large enough fridge to keep it in....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%