Beach Themed Wedding Cake

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 28 Dec 2012 , 1:38pm by ddaigle

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 26

A bride wants a beach themed wedding cake and I was wondering where to buy beach themed cake accessories like in the picture. Can they be edible?
LL

25 replies
Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 26

I made this cake too!! My bride sent me a picture and wanted me to reproduce it.

Yes, they're all edible. Shells are made out of fondant/gumpaste and coral from royal icing. You could also use white chocolate for the shells.

I couldn't find the exact same shell molds but I substituted as best I could.

It was a fun cake to make!

Good luck!

MissCakeCrazy Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 26

The bride said she is going to e-mail me pics of cakes she likes the look of, I don't know if she'll choose this one. I am just researching before she contacts me again. I found a site in the Uk which sells a mould for the sea horse, shells and star fish but I do not know how to to the coral. Is there a template that you used with the royal icing? Also, what are those colours used to make the sand colour? I have dark brown. Can I mix that with something?

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 26

That coral is very precise, very beautiful. I would imagine that it's RI. Another way I learned to do it, can't remember where I learned it, is to crush ice and put it in a bowl. Then pour melted chocolate over the ice. Then put it in the fridge or freezer. The ice will help to give shape to the chocolate to look like coral. It does take a little practice but not to bad a learning curve. And, if you don't like how the piece turned out, when it's dry, just melt it again. If you want larger pieces, take one that is already done and put it in the ice and pour more chocolate on the ice attached to it, adding some to the piece already done, and you can get different twists and turns with it.
That's probably more for a fun cake, but thought I'd share, just in case. For an elegant wedding cake, I think I'd print out a phot of what I wanted, put down some nice waxed paper and pipe with RI.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 26

Thanks for the tip. How can i make those colours by the way? How much would you charge for this cake?

Classycakes Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 26

I made some sample coral out of royal icing just freehand. I googled "coral" and got a picture and went by the picture. It turned out really nice but before I got a chance to show it the bride, she told me she didn't want the coral (because you don't find it here in the cold waters off Newfoundland) so I didn't need to use it. Also, she only wanted three tiers instead of four.

With the graduating colours, I just made batches of fondant using different amounts of melted chocolate for each one to give the different colours.

The sand was a mixture of white sugar to give a little sparkle, graham wafer crumbs and vanilla wafer crumbs. The two different type crumbs were slightly different colours so it added a natural colour dimension.

I did another beach type cake as well that's really pretty. It has the seashells with a lighthouse on top. I can send it to you if you like.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 26

classycakes, did you just pipe the royal icing randomly when doing the coral (with out a template)?

Classycakes Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:09pm
post #8 of 26

yes, I printed off a picture of coral from the internet and imitated how the branches or spikes (whatever you call it!!!) were shaped. There are hundreds of pictures on the internet so it's just a matter of finding one that looks easy enough to duplicate and one that looks like the picture.

I guess if you enlarge the picture you could put some waxed or parchment paper over the actual picture and trace it too.

With regard to pricing, can't help you much there because ingredient costs vary from location to location. I took my base price for the three tier cake, added the extra time and cost to make the coloured fondant and the "waves", then added the time and cost to make the sea shells and the like, then added the cost for the "sand". I charged $450 for the cake but that could be higher or lower than cakes in your area. You will have to source out your costs and decide what's right for you.

I didn't include the cost for the actual sea shell molds because I added it to my inventory of tools and I've used it since then on other cakes. I would only charge for a mold if it was something I would never use again.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 26

I think I would charge this £350 in the UK. On another thread I read that you can put non perials on the corals so they can look more textured. What are they? Also, what tip nozzle did you use when piping the RI?

Classycakes Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:27pm
post #10 of 26

They are sprinkles or edible pearls or beads. I just used a number 3 tip, small round circle. I used it with a "shaking or jerking" motion so it would come out knobby or crinkled. It's hard to explain icon_rolleyes.gif . Normally with this tip you would pipe a smooth line - I did one like my granddaughter would do!!! I then sprinkled it with a luster dust to make it sparkle.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:29pm
post #11 of 26

what colours did you use to colour the fondant?

Classycakes Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:43pm
post #12 of 26

I used ivory for a base for the fondant, then separated into three groups. One third I left plain ivory, the second one I add some melted chocolate and some cocoa powder til I got the right shade, then the last one I doubled the amount of melted chocolate and cocoa powder. I didn't use brown food colouring at all.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 7:25pm
post #13 of 26

Didn't the fondant go too wet and unmanageable after putting the melted choc?

Classycakes Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 7:46pm
post #14 of 26

Sorry....I'm not explaining this very well, am I???

I made three batches of fondant. All of them had an ivory base. The first batch I set aside to use as is.

The second batch, besides the ivory, I added melted chocolate and cocoa. I add the chocolate when it's at the wet stage of mixing with half the icing sugar, then I add the cocoa mixed in with the rest of the icing sugar.

The third batch, I added twice as much melted chocolate and cocoa. Again I added it during the wet stage, then added the cocoa with the balance of the icing sugar.

Can't quite remember the ratio. I think I melted one cup of chocoate and used 1/3 and then 2/3. Cocoa maybe 2 tablespoons and then 4 for the darkest tier. Something along those lines.

The scallops or waves at the bottom used up what was left from the ivory and light chocolate fondant.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 9:25pm
post #15 of 26

if you are using gel color and trying to achieve these shades, just take a small amount of fondant and experiment. If you are using brown gel color, you shouldn't need much to get your lighter brown shade, then just add more until you get the shades that you are wanting.

As for the shells, you can find molds for them. I did a beach theme wedding cake and I bought a silicone mold from global sugar art. I used melted white chocolate and once the chocolate was set I unmolded the shells and used luster dusts in pearl, oyster and bronze colors to shade them. if you use melted white chocolate it's a good idea to tap the mold or "drop" it on the counter/tabletop to remove any air bubbles.

As for the coral, I'd do as suggested with the royal icing. Using the shaking/jerking motions should give you the texture you are after and then just dust with your luster dust.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 9:59pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classycakes

I just used a number 3 tip, small round circle. I used it with a "shaking or jerking" motion so it would come out knobby or crinkled. It's hard to explain icon_rolleyes.gif . Normally with this tip you would pipe a smooth line - .

Boy, this should be a cinch for me them. That shaking/jerking motion is usually how my hand is going when I'm trying to get the straight line..... LOL

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 10:49pm
post #17 of 26

I did a birthday beach cake, no near as nice as this one though! I used white chocolate to make shells. I think I even found the molds at Joann's or Michael's. For the coral, I used chocolate again, then sprinkled it with sanding sugar before it set for texture. It was an easy cake to do.
LL

MissCakeCrazy Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 11:27pm
post #18 of 26

Classy cakes, you sound like you make the fondant yourself. I will be using ready made fondant so I may not be able to mix melted choc. Akgirl10, like your cake! What is sanding sugar by the way?

Classycakes Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 11:55pm
post #19 of 26

Yes, I make all my own fondant except for black which I order in.

akgirl10 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:58am
post #20 of 26

It's coarse sugar, not fine like granulated. Although granulated would probably work well if you wanted a less "rustic" look.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:47am
post #21 of 26

how do you stick on the sugar?

akgirl10 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 10:33pm
post #22 of 26

Sprinkle it on while your royal icing or chocolate is still wet.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:57am
post #23 of 26

Also, how do you paint on / colour white choc shells? When doing the royal iced coral, how can I make sure it doesn't snap when taking off the paper?

milly-mel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milly-mel Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:49am
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCakeCrazy

I think I would charge this £350 in the UK. On another thread I read that you can put non perials on the corals so they can look more textured. What are they? Also, what tip nozzle did you use when piping the RI?

my wedding cake was 3 tiers and its was very simple, white fondant white red and silver hearts cascading down the tiers, all tiers were sponge. i paid £300 and the work would have been nothing in camparison to a cake as detailed as this!
i dont know anything about pricing cakes but i personally would pay more for that cake! thumbs_up.gif

Juliekmd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juliekmd Posted 28 Dec 2012 , 12:20pm
post #25 of 26

How wonderful of you to take the time to answer questions with such detail. And what a beautiful cake.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 28 Dec 2012 , 1:33pm
post #26 of 26

When I made a beach theamed wedding cake used ground up graham crackers for the sand.  Much tastier than sanding sugar. 

White chocolate sea shells on a butter cream cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%