Should I Call? Don't Want To Seem Like I Am Pestering

Business By MissCakeCrazy Updated 31 Jan 2010 , 2:46am by FromScratch

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 12:06pm
post #1 of 13

The bride called me on Wednesday to say she has a wedding in April and she would like a castle wedding cake. I asked her if she had any pictures she can e-mail me to get the idea of the sort of thing she wants so I can quote her. She said Ok but I haven't received any e-mails since.

I sent her a text message to remind her to send me any pictures but she hasn't replied. Its now saturday and don't know whether to call her. I don't want to pester her just in case she gets annoyed...

12 replies
leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 12:16pm
post #2 of 13

I would call. Just mention you haven't receive any pictures and ask her if she was still interested in you quoting a price on the cake. I wouldn't worry about offending her, brides get caught up in other things and forget.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 12:17pm
post #3 of 13

Don't. If she hasn't responded then she has most likely chosen someone else.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 12:21pm
post #4 of 13

Now I am really confused.............

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 12:40pm
post #5 of 13

You should call and remind her that you haven't received any pictures yet. Let her know that you are want to help her make the best choice regarding her wedding cake for her special day.

If you don't hear from her then assume she isn't interested anymore.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 12:46pm
post #6 of 13

You kind of did already make the reminder call.. with your txt message..If she wants to book with you she will get in touch.. icon_smile.gif

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 12:48pm
post #7 of 13

I never chase after customers. If they are interested, they come to me. They are adults, they don't need to be reminded, and you are not there to baby them through the cake buying process. It just makes you look desperate and not professional.

You have already followed up with them once and that is sufficient. Move on the the next customer, who will probably appreciate you more.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 12:53pm
post #8 of 13

I called about 10 minutes ago and she didn't answer. She could of at least text me a reply.. I'll just forget about the whole thing..

Classycakes Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 1:27pm
post #9 of 13

MissCake, you're work is really lovely and sells itself. Please don't take the following advice as criticism.

From your previous text where you say "she could have at least called", "she didn't answer", that gives the impression that you feel resentful or slighted by the bride's lack of courtesy. I remember feeling that way and taking it really personally.

The more you chase after this type of customer, the more you invest emotionally. You think about it more, you want it more and then you feel the disappointment more when you don't get the sale. Sometimes it can eat away at your confidence.

That's why I made the decision not to pursue or run after the enquiries that come my way. If I am contacted for information, I give the best information I can and I leave it with them. If they request additional information that I don't have, then I tell them I will get back to them and I do. Then I leave it with them and put it out of my mind and I move on.

If they get back to me and they want to set up an appointment or they're interested in booking, that makes me feel great! They want my cakes!

But if they don't get back to me, well then I haven't lost anything because I haven't given them another serious thought. There's no feelings of disappointment or resentment because I haven't invested emotionally in the sale. I move on to other customers.

I wish you all the very best.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 1:40pm
post #10 of 13

She has just called. She apologised that she couldn't get back to me and that she hasn't had the time to search for designs. she'l e-mail me tonight. Wish me luck!

Classycakes Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:03pm
post #11 of 13

Good luck! Good Luck! Good Luck!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:27pm
post #12 of 13

Great!

But now the only reason you should be calling her from here on out is if she is late on any payments! icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:46am
post #13 of 13

I never chase down clients. It makes you seem desperate. Just my honest opinion. They make a contact email... I reply... and it's in their court. If someone says they will get back to me in a month to set up something, I might send a "just wanted to check in" email if I think about it, but most of the time I don't.

I don't want people thinking I have to chase down business. I'd rather have them thinking that I don't *need* their business... eventhough I obviously do. icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%