Please Help, Lines Are Showing Through My Fondant

Decorating By sftbalmom Updated 21 May 2010 , 9:54pm by Tor1985

sftbalmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sftbalmom Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:04am
post #1 of 12

First I must say thank you to everyone your questions and comments are so apprciated. I spend ALOT of time on CC readind and learning

My question is what am I doing wrong to the fondant that lines where I torted and fillled my cake are showing through. icon_mad.gif When I pre ice the cake with BC it seems smoothe but then I add the fondant and I cannot get those lines out. About how thick of layer of BC should I be using and why those dang lines.
Thanks you

11 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:15am
post #2 of 12

The only thing I can think of is your cakes sides are not even. You gotta line your cakes up straight.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:25am
post #3 of 12

perhaps try cake spackle?

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:45am
post #4 of 12

Thicker fondant maybe would help.

maidofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maidofcake Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:19am
post #5 of 12

I second the spackle. It really does cover a lot of imperfections.

Depending on how thick your fondant is now, you may not want to go any thicker. If it's too thick it will make for a heavy cake.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 12

Once my cakes are filled, I trim the sides to get rid of any cake overhang or crusty edges, then do a very light crumbcoat. They go back in the fridge overnight. I take them out, get down so I'm eye level and trim them again so the sides are perfectly straight (or as close as I can get). Then I crumbcoat, smooth and back in the fridge. Then it's ready to fondant.

Jodie

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 12

Welcome to CC, sftbalmom! My guess would be that your cakes are continuing to settle and are "squishing" the buttercream filling from between the layers. This is a common problem. A couple of suggestions might be:

*After filling your cakes, allow them to settle for about two hours
*Some will tell you they place a weight on top of the cakes and allow the settling to occur that way therefore speeding up the process
*Don't fill your cakes to the edge. Start with a "dam" about a 1/4" in and fill from there. The quarter inch will proceed to move/settle toward the edge.
*Thicken the dam by reserving about a cup of buttercream and then add additional powdered sugar to make it thick to the consistency of soft clay. Then pipe the outside dam through a bag with a coupler that does not have a notch in it. That outside coil will be thicker and will not allow the center filling to move more than that 1/4" I spoke of in the above point.

Just a few things for you to consider/try. To this day, each and every cake is a learning process for me. Have fun caking!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:11pm
post #8 of 12

Sometimes if you put them in the fridge overnight... When you chill them in the fridge, you have suspended the settling process. The next day, they start warming back up to room temp and the settling continues which is why bulges might occur. thumbs_up.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:23pm
post #9 of 12

I don't suggest thicker fondant. You want your fondant as thin as possible for the smoothest look.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:57pm
post #10 of 12

I don't suggest "thick" fondant, it just sounded like maybe hers was so thin there were some transparency issues. It didn't sound like she was seeing bulges, but the actual cake and filling.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:44pm
post #11 of 12

If you're seeing the cake/frosting through the fondant I would think the fondant is too thin.

When I roll out my fondant for a cake (14 inch or less) I place two long dowel rods on either side of the fondant, then start moving the roller over both the fondant and the two dowels -- keeps me from rolling it to thin, which is something I tend to do.

Edited to add:
Just another thought. Do you use a fondant smoother? Could you be pressing too hard on the fondant and kinda squishing the buttercream to other places, leaving only the fondant resting next to the cake?

Tor1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tor1985 Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:54pm
post #12 of 12

sftbalmom I also have this problem. I make the "dam" with my filling and put in 1/4" from the edge...I thought maybe I was rolling my fondant too thin.

glendaleAZ how do you use dowels when your rolling circles? I havent figured that out yet? If the rolling pin can't rest on both dowels how does that work (sorry if that seems like a dumb question icon_redface.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%