Help Needed With A Dense Batter Rich Chocolate Cake...

Baking By Evoir Updated 30 Jan 2010 , 6:19am by Evoir

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:17am
post #1 of 6

Hi there

I spoke without thinking to a client the other day, blithely saying no problem to making a mud cake in a Stand-Up Teddy Bear Pan, ie, for a 3D mudcake bear.

I really, REALLY do not want to carve a 3D cake, so I am praying someone can help me...

Mud cakes are made from a very runny batter, and the Wilton Stand-Up pan calls for a DENSE batter (*forehead slap* now you know why I feel like an idiot...I've never used the bear pan, but DID read the instructions a few months ago). icon_redface.gif

I'm hoping either some Aussies bakers can tell me about a 'dense' mudcake batter recipe OR ANYBODY ELSE - can point me to a dense batter chocolate cake (scratch) recipe that uses real dark chocolate in it, and is quite a 'heavy' cake.

Please and thank you icon_smile.gif

5 replies
sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:26am
post #2 of 6

What a pickle! I know what you mean about choc mud batters being runny - all the recipes I have are!

I guess I would experiment with adapting the scratch WASC recipe for chocolate. How about subbing some of the flour for cocoa and some of the milk/sour cream for melted dark choc? And perhaps reducing the baking powder to increase the density

Just an idea.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:28am
post #3 of 6
_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:58am
post #4 of 6

Oh that looks delish! I think I'll try that for my next tasting. Thanks for the link.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:01am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumabassfrominternet

This cake was not good. I did not preheat the oven and the brown sugar started burning as soon as it started getting hot. It still had a cake texture but the top layer was very dark. I shaved it off and the entire cake had a slight flavor of burnt sugar. It was also very dry. I make cakes a lot and will not try this again.

by A Cook from Atlanta on 05/13/08

Moron. icon_lol.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:19am
post #6 of 6

"dumabassfrominternet wrote:" hahaha

Thanks gals, I'll look at a scratch chocolate WASC and that brown sugar one and my mud cake recipes and see if I can conjure up some kitchen alchemy. I just have this nightmare of cake batter leaking out everywhere icon_sad.gif

You all rock!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%