Cutting A Dummy Cake

Decorating By mrs_smith Updated 31 Jan 2010 , 4:07pm by FromScratch

mrs_smith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrs_smith Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 1:21am
post #1 of 15

Can a bride and groom cut a dummy cake without the guests realising it's real? A mate of mine wants to do it, but I've never seen that happen before, usually there is a real layer that they cut into, and I'm sure there's a reason for it.....

14 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:51am
post #2 of 15

No, you do no cut into the dummy itself.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:38am
post #3 of 15

Heck no!

mrs_smith Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:57am
post #4 of 15

What would it do? Make the cake topple? I'll pass this onto her and let her know.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:57am
post #5 of 15

I only make faux cakes. My couples place the knife on the dummy cake and take a picture. Then they cut into a small real cake that sits beside the faux cake. Most guests at the weddings don't realize what has happened.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:58am
post #6 of 15

Well, for starters, you can't get a knife through 4" of solid stryofoam.

mrs_smith Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:06am
post #7 of 15

Lol good point - I've never tried cutting it before (they come in the shape I want). I'll pass that onto her. I suggested the little cake but she's adamant about not having a seperate cake and wants a fake cake because she doesn't want one served to the guests ($6/head). She's really got to choose between having one of the layers real or have a small one, or a fake cake cutting....

helsbels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helsbels Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:17am
post #8 of 15

Just curious but what is she serving to the guests?

mrs_smith Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 11:08pm
post #9 of 15

There's an alternate drop of 2 desserts going one, one sticky date pudding and king island cream, and the other tiramisu. Because of that she didn't want cake as well, and also the venue charges to cut it so she didn't see the point.

She's thinking about a fake layer now icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 11:16pm
post #10 of 15

The only way she's going to cut through styrofoam tier is to use an electric carving knife (I bought one for that very purpose for carving shapes!)!!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 11:29pm
post #11 of 15

Funny thing... most people charge the same for dummy cakes as they do for real cakes so she might not be saving any money. She might look into one of those sites that rents cakes. Some even have a place to put a small piece of cake for the cutting.

Why even have the cake if she's not going to serve it. Won't people find it odd that they hve this big ole' cake and no one gets to eat cake?

mrs_smith Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 11:40pm
post #12 of 15

I know exactly what you mean! My fiance's sister had a fake one at her wedding, and we were all wondering all night when we were going to eat the cake! It was kind of a giveaway icon_wink.gif

But each to their own I always say...

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 11:51pm
post #13 of 15

In some areas a real cake and serving the cake is no big deal. If dessert is served as part of the meal at the venue a real cake is not really needed because it is not eaten. The leftovers, sometimes as much as 95%, are taken home, given away or wasted by throwing it away. As many as 60% of brides in my area do not even have a wedding cake. To them it is just an added expense.

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 12:04am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

Why even have the cake if she's not going to serve it. Won't people find it odd that they hve this big ole' cake and no one gets to eat cake?

That's exactly what I was thinking!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 4:07pm
post #15 of 15

I can understand not having a cake. No big deal... it's not for everyone. BUT... why have a fake one if you aren't serving cake? Seems silly to me. Just have the dessert. But that's just me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%