We Need A Serious Thread About Cake Muggle Requests

Decorating By cakesdivine Updated 20 Feb 2010 , 6:05am by wrightway777

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:32pm
post #31 of 61

I had a 2-hour "consultation" with a lady for her 4 year old's bday. (I know, I know - I looked at it as a 2-hr lesson in Unrealistic Expectations 101)

Wants Miley Cyrus's Sweet 16 cake. That morphs into a 3-tier pink/gold/black topsy turvy, stripes on one tier, interlocking gold Chanel "C" logo on one tier, polka dots on one tier. She's very, very picky about the exact shade of hot pink. Oh, and she doesn't like the fondant stripes "sticking out away from the cake", she wants them all cut and tapered for a smooth look. I do a quick sketch and giver her a price. UUUMMMMM......."well I've spent $300 on the fabric to get her dress made, and I've spent $400 on food, and it's only 10 little girls that are going to be eating it......"

So, she asks about dummy tiers (yeah, cutting dummies into TT shapes is SO EASY), making the tiers smaller (don't think I can carve a 4" layerand keep it upright), and well, how about I just decorate half of it, since the cake table will back up against the wall? Then she gets annoyed that I hadn't planned on an additional "tasting" at a location convenient to her.

She called a couple of days later to say she's going to make the cake. I wish I had pics!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:52pm
post #32 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by this-mama-rocks

I had a 2-hour "consultation" with a lady for her 4 year old's bday. (I know, I know - I looked at it as a 2-hr lesson in Unrealistic Expectations 101)

Wants Miley Cyrus's Sweet 16 cake. That morphs into a 3-tier pink/gold/black topsy turvy, stripes on one tier, interlocking gold Chanel "C" logo on one tier, polka dots on one tier. She's very, very picky about the exact shade of hot pink. Oh, and she doesn't like the fondant stripes "sticking out away from the cake", she wants them all cut and tapered for a smooth look. I do a quick sketch and giver her a price. UUUMMMMM......."well I've spent $300 on the fabric to get her dress made, and I've spent $400 on food, and it's only 10 little girls that are going to be eating it......"

So, she asks about dummy tiers (yeah, cutting dummies into TT shapes is SO EASY), making the tiers smaller (don't think I can carve a 4" layerand keep it upright), and well, how about I just decorate half of it, since the cake table will back up against the wall? Then she gets annoyed that I hadn't planned on an additional "tasting" at a location convenient to her.

She called a couple of days later to say she's going to make the cake. I wish I had pics!!

That is a new one for me. How on earth did you keep from laughing in her face?

this-mama-rocks Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:56pm
post #33 of 61

good question! I'm not sure!

I just kept repeating "I'm sorry, but it's just not possible for me to do that"

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:16pm
post #34 of 61

I always wonder if any of these customers have ever ordered a dessert in a restaurant: One serving is at least $4.

Where I live I get requests from both high-end and low-end clients, and it can be very hard to tell them apart. I recently had a request for an "Alice in Wonderland" wedding cake and I wanted to do it so badly that I quoted them less than I typically would have (notmuch less, but still). In the same breath I said that I would meet any price comparison... they instantly replied that my price was FAR better than any other quotes they recieved.

Next time I want to do a cake badly enough I will quote high and THEN tell them I will meet any price they find better icon_rolleyes.gif

thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:16pm
post #35 of 61

I had a gal call me a few months ago and ask if I could do a birthday cake for her. Sure no prob, what do you want? She goes into great detail of what she wants. 4 tiered cake, carved, Topsy-turvy, covered with "fondu" (thought I was the only one who had heard someone call it that!) with silver and blue and black lace and on and on and on...... ok... when do you need the cake? This afternoon! Ummm Yeah, not going to happen! Then she gets mad at me because I can't do it. And I get the whole, its just cake how hard can it be? She cussed me up one side and down the other and hung up on me.

this-mama-rocks Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:24pm
post #36 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecookieladycc

I had a gal call me a few months ago and ask if I could do a birthday cake for her. Sure no prob, what do you want? She goes into great detail of what she wants. 4 tiered cake, carved, Topsy-turvy, covered with "fondu" (thought I was the only one who had heard someone call it that!) with silver and blue and black lace and on and on and on...... ok... when do you need the cake? This afternoon! Ummm Yeah, not going to happen! Then she gets mad at me because I can't do it. And I get the whole, its just cake how hard can it be? She cussed me up one side and down the other and hung up on me.

Two thoughts:

1. You can't fix stupid
2. Some people are tackier than double-stick tape

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:28pm
post #37 of 61
Quote:

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:40pm
post #38 of 61
Quote:

I get brides all the time who ask me "Do you put fondu on your cake?" One of these days, I am going to be too tired to deal with it and reply "Cheese would be funky on a cake, dont you think?"

Anyway, this is a result of too much TV Cake shows. They really do think those cakes are made in 1 hour.

cncgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncgirl00 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:47pm
post #39 of 61

A lady at church asked me do a wedding cake to help out a couple she knew. The bride originally wanted a "simple 3 tier (6-8-10) white cake with red ribbon covered in Wilton" fondant (she would supply this nasty stuff). I priced it really cheap for $150.

She thought that was high. I told her that I still had to put buttercream icing on the cake to get the fondant to stay on the cake,also supplying the cake stand and delivering the cake. Fine she says (in a huffy way).

Then, she comes back to church that night with all kinds of changes (quilted cake with RI buttons I have to paint to match the ribbons and icing roses for the topper), all at no extra charge. I tell her that I changed my mind and because I was pregnant that I didn't think I was up to doing the cake. Can anyone say Bridezilla.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:48pm
post #40 of 61

Oh yeah! cncgirl reminded me about the COST of fondant.

I make my own MMF so it's only about $5 for 4lbs, but one of my regulars had to stop ordering cakes from me because she had to cut back on things (I was making small $40 cakes for her): A week later she asked me where to buy fondant to make her own cakes, so I told her about the only place in town that sells Satin Ice (with a high mark-up).

She probably figured out really fast that even making your own fondant covered cake is not cheap. That, or use Wilton's plastic flavored fondant with a Michael's coupon.

whit1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit1980 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:55pm
post #41 of 61

"Plastic flavored fondant" - Bahahaha, so true! I really struggle around here because the bakeries and only other cake lady I know of are really cheap. I always get a "you've GOT to be kidding me" look if I quote anything above .75 cents a serving. My work is so much cleaner and my strawberry cake darn sure tastes better, but still people just don't comprehend how many hours you spend decorating, let alone baking and mixing icing! I've got to learn how to stand strong and get paid for my work.

GeordieMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeordieMum Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:00am
post #42 of 61

I've sat here reading this whole post with my jaw... icon_surprised.gif

Some people truly have no idea. It actually makes me nervous starting out in this industry because where I come from people aren't use to paying $$ for their cakes.

Very entertaining reading though - keep em' coming!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:21am
post #43 of 61

I have had people just adamant that they wanted a fondant cake because its the "latest" thing. But, then when I quote a price for fondant, they balk.

I have had one person ask that I crumb coat and then she will put the fondant on. icon_eek.gif I refused.

I have had another, who agreed to pay the fondant price, but then balked at the decorating part (in my defense she wanted like 15 tiny fondant teddy bears and a clothes line strung across with cut out baby clothes all over 3 tiers, I quoted an extra $100) So she requested a white fondant cake. She told me that she would take care of the rest. I wish I would have gotten a picture of what she did to the cake, cause I can only imagine what kind of plastic flotsam she put all over that thing....

I also had another who wanted a cake to feed her office of like 4 people, she starts spouting all of these decorations and things and stuff she wanted on the cake. After she was done I drew everything up and the cake was going to feed about 45 people. I told her a price of like $250, and I never will forget this, she said, "$250!! For just four servings??!?!" I explained to her yet again that the cake actually fed about 45 people. She then again told me that my prices were outrageous and she couldnt believe that I was charging her $250 for a cake that only fed 4 people. I tried explaining until I was blue in the face and ready to scream, but she just could not understand that the cake was going to serve 45 people. icon_rolleyes.gif

BillieH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BillieH Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:33am
post #44 of 61

I made a cake for my nephew, and my SIL's aunt was all impressed with the cake. Talked my ear off about me starting a business. Told her I didn't have a business bone in my body, plus I'm still learning. She told me "Oh it's simple! Just go to Walmart and charge what they charge and add a little extra for your time." I was laughing inside really I was and I'm not even a professional!

I let her know that cake decorators usually charge per serving and even gave her an example using one of the local cake decorators who charges $3 per serving for BC. Than I used my nephews Thomas cake as an example. It was a 11X15, 44 servings according to wiltons party chart = $132.

For a moment she was stunned and than proceeded to chat my ear off about it. While she rattled on all I could think about is how I wish someone else, anyone really at the party would distract the woman and I could RUN!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:45am
post #45 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieH

For a moment she was stunned and than proceeded to chat my ear off about it. While she rattled on all I could think about is how I wish someone else, anyone really at the party would distract the woman and I could RUN!

Ugh, i hate that! When you are AT the party and you just so happen to have made the cake and then the hostess or host introduces you as 'the cake lady.' Then for the rest of the night people are calling you the cake lady instead of your real name and describing cakes to you and trying to get quotes.

"So how much would it cost to get a carved version of Thomas, but could you make it pink instead and add $200 worth of GP flowers? What do you mean its $500?? So and so didnt pay that much for HER cake!"

Sheesh, shoot me...

Jaime3679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaime3679 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:39am
post #46 of 61

I can't stand when people think they can get a fabulous cake for the cost of a wal-mart cake just because they feed the same amount of people. It's like someone expecting to pay the same price for some shoes at the dollar store as they would for some Nikes just because they are both running shoes. PLEASE!

Bel_Anne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bel_Anne Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:13am
post #47 of 61

It sucks when there are actual business owners (cake decorators) who drastically under charge for their cakes. It doesn't help our cause! The lady that I initially trained with used to charge under a hundred $ for a fully decorated 3D cake... in fact most of her prices were WELL AND TRULY too cheap. She's had three businesses in fifteen years... I honestly don't know how she even made any money (I do know she was very stressed). She got a lot of customers though! But she finally went bust this year. Problem is, people in my area are used to her prices and I plan on charging nearly double... I doubt I'll get a bite for quite some time!

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:54am
post #48 of 61

I was helping out one of the other mums from the playground with her daughters birthday cake, she wanted to borrow a tin as hers weren't big enough.... took me a long time to explain to her that you can get more than 9 pieces out of a 9" square and I think she still doesn't believe me!

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 8:21am
post #49 of 61

I am a cake muggle! I would never pay my prices. That is why I make cakes now. I can't afford myself.
Before I started making cakes, (6 years ago) there was this lady who got a 8 inch cake covered in fondant with a pair of sugar shoes that was like 90 dollars. I almost crapped my pants. "No way would I pay $90 for that cake" was the only conversations that went on in the car ride home, (it was a really nice cake).
I know different now, but after shopping at the grocery stores for years the prices can be quite a shocker. And I'm not a cheapie either.

BillieH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BillieH Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:10pm
post #50 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime3679

I can't stand when people think they can get a fabulous cake for the cost of a wal-mart cake just because they feed the same amount of people. It's like someone expecting to pay the same price for some shoes at the dollar store as they would for some Nikes just because they are both running shoes. PLEASE!

Oh I like that!!!! Think I might have to steal your comparison next time I get stuck in one of those annoying pricing conversations with someones crazy aunt again. lol

Jaime3679 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:52pm
post #51 of 61

We had a lady who owns a very nice little boutique in town call us wanting to order a cake to put on display at a trunk show. The cake needed to feed about 40 people. She was having a trunk show for a line of jewelry / charms she is selling in her shop. She wanted the cake to be 2 tier with an open jewelry box on top and we would have to create gems and bracelets to look like the jewelry she was selling. I just gave her a price of 215.00. She was like, so you mean that's 5 - something a serving. There are only 2 other bakers in town that make cakes like we do and they start at 4.00 a serving for fondant cakes with VERY little detail and go up to 9.00 a serving for detailed cakes. I wanna tell her to call the others and get a price from them and then to call me back!

Jaime3679 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:54pm
post #52 of 61

We had a lady who owns a very nice little boutique in town call us wanting to order a cake to put on display at a trunk show. The cake needed to feed about 40 people. She was having a trunk show for a line of jewelry / charms she is selling in her shop. She wanted the cake to be 2 tier with an open jewelry box on top and we would have to create gems and bracelets to look like the jewelry she was selling. I just gave her a price of 215.00. She was like, so you mean that's 5 - something a serving. There are only 2 other bakers in town that make cakes like we do and they start at 4.00 a serving for fondant cakes with VERY little detail and go up to 9.00 a serving for detailed cakes. I wanna tell her to call the others and get a price from them and then to call me back!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:57pm
post #53 of 61

And the stories can go on & on...

I agree that the cake shows NEED to let people know how much these cakes really cost that they are creating, and let people know how long it really takes to do one of these creations. Some cakes have several people working on them and if it takes 3 people 10 hours to decorate a cake (not including bake time) then that is 30 man hours! One person alone would take 30 hours to complete a cake. Even at min wage that is $217 in labor alone, but most decorators make far more than that! People just don't think!

Photomommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Photomommie Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:59pm
post #54 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntmamie

I was asked by my BF (who is constatly telling me that I need to redo my business plan) to make a bridal shower cake for 50ppl. She gave me a budget of $35. I told her that I would give her my best friend discount, and do the cake for $35, but that I had to have 100% control on the design. Ugh - almost broke our friendship over it. She was emailing me pink cake box designs, and didn't even have a walmart budget. NEVER AGAIN!!!! I got a backbone after that cake.

I need to grow one. I really do cakes fo fun, for my kids & family. I feel I'm not that good at them for anyone else & family has the "well you made it for me so it's special!" So when a close friend guilted me into making a shower cake, because it would be "special" from me......it was to be a simple sheet cake for 50ppl. Mind you she didn't want the costco cake for $40 dollars.......well now it's a 2-tiered (which I have never done a stacked cake before) fondant with ribbon on it! Not to mention the fresh raspberries in the chocolate ganache filling. And when I spoke with her just a few days ago regarding cake, all supplies & ribbons bought (to MATCH the sample she gave me) she actually said " I want this color on it, it matches the dresses!!!!!!" Then why give me the other color? At least I stood my ground there, she must have asked 5 times to somehow put the new color in, I just kept saying I already have the other color. I hope it comes out ok, My DH keeps saying I should've said no but thats alittle late now!
Oh and when I said maybe $40 for the cake, she was like "really....so much" Mind you I have to do this after hours when my 3 little kids have gone to bed, so it will be a true all nighter!

ok ~~~breathe~~~~
Thanks for lenting me vent!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:16pm
post #55 of 61

Photomommie :
Hand her an invoice when she gets the cake.

Show her what the cake would have cost if you had charged full price and then show her the amazing discount she got. That should shut her up.

And grow a backbone before all her friends come calling for cheap cakes icon_smile.gif

abauman07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abauman07 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:59am
post #56 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlys

my favorites are the people that come in and say I love to watch or duff and they want a cake like they do.
then they get the price and suddenly they are ordering a small round cake buttercream icing and basic decorations.
Wow really?
They need to post the prices on these shows. Pleez!!!

Huh?? OMG...the nerve sometimes - lol. I'm no professional by any means, but I do know it's expensive to make the creations (and that's exactly what they are...CREATIONS!!) that we do. I just made my mom's 50th b-day cake and just for the ingredients alone cost me over $50. That's not including the decorations and, if you think about it, any past investments (cake pans, tier seperator, etc.). I mean, come on...I went to Charm City Cakes website (home of the famous Chef Duff) and they can't even give basic prices b/c of the personalization involved, but I do know that they require a minimum of $1000 on all of their cakes.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:04pm
post #57 of 61

i think one of the lowest points in my cake past, was after having made Two cakes for my newphews ( there twins) I did it at cost, because she wanted a pirate ship, with pirates and masts and water, And a Car . . Not easy work! but as shes family and i was still learning, i did it at cost (even then, the price we agreed on just say covered it) each cake took me almost 12 hours to do, but i was so proud of them, even for me they were far better than i had imagined ever turning out as ...

Skip forward to the party, Where a lady tells me, The cakes are wonderful, And she would of payed at least £25 for one , how i managed to keep a straight face i dont know, I politely replied to her that 25 pound wouldnt even cover the cost of the smaller of the two cakes, she then instructs me to start my own ebay buissness, and that i would get looooooooads and loooooads of orders if i offered cakes like the ones 'asda' made . . . at this point i really questioned wether my cakes were that good , or comparable with Asda . . .

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 3:41am
post #58 of 61

I had a cutomer last week that came in with a picture of one of Duff's 3D Cakes. I quoted her $2500.00 because of the time that would be involved with the cake. I have talked to Duff before and know that he would do the cake for around $10,000.00 I think. When I gave her the price she was floored. I try to explain that we charge by the hour and that we are artists and so on, and that it would take us at least 20 hours to complete the cake. She said, "That's ridiculous....It only took Duff 30 min.." I stood there with my mouth open....... She's kidding right?......Afraid Not. Some people have no brains.

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 3:42am
post #59 of 61

I had a cutomer last week that came in with a picture of one of Duff's 3D Cakes. I quoted her $2500.00 because of the time that would be involved with the cake. I have talked to Duff before and know that he would do the cake for around $10,000.00 I think. When I gave her the price she was floored. I try to explain that we charge by the hour and that we are artists and so on, and that it would take us at least 20 hours to complete the cake. She said, "That's ridiculous....It only took Duff 30 min.." I stood there with my mouth open....... She's kidding right?......Afraid Not. Some people have no brains.

bea30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bea30 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 5:26am
post #60 of 61

HaHaHa! I'm cracking up about Duff's cake taking 30 minutes....does she think the shows are live?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%