Elmo Red Buttercream

Decorating By SandiOh Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 8:27am by ayerim979

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 11

What is the best way to get a red buttercream without destroying the taste/texture of my buttercream?

I apologize in advance, I'm sure this question has been asked a million times.....

TIA,
Sandi

10 replies
caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 11

The Elmo red is orange and red mixed. They say it's best to use "no taste" red. It takes a good bit of red, ok, alot of red to achieve the right color. If you've got access to americolor red get it. It only takes a fraction of color to get a good red.

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 11

For tough colors like red and black I add the color to the butter/shortening mixture as it is creaming.HTH

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 11

Make sure you are using gel paste colors NOT the liquid ones from the grocery store.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 11

I like using Super Red from Americolor..near the end I add a drop of yellow to brighten it up as it seems to be a bit muted..I do this with all my colors like Royal blue just to add a pop.

SandiOh Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 11

AAACCCk. I mistakenly picked up americolor's "red red", and have used the entire bottle, plus some powdered red, and I'm still not red. what do I do now? I'm an hour away from the cake store, and the weathers not great. I have wilton no taste red, Mccormicks liquid red and some more powdered red. I don't have to use it until tomorrow am. ANY help Please????

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 11

Wow you are scaring me Im making a sesame street cake as well next weekend. Let me know of your outcome please. I would use wiltons red not the mccormics (wait to see what you get)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 8:17pm
post #8 of 11

I had a student use the liquid red food coloring in place of the water in the recipe for a fire engine cake. It came out very red, and didn't affect the consistancy since you are replacing the liquid for the water.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 11

I know this is going to sound totally weird, but...

Start with pink BC. Yes pink, I know, my EXACT response to this comment originally was..."Pink is just light red, if you add red to white you get pink so then you have to add more red to get red? Isn't that the same as adding tons of red which I was trying to avoid in the first place"?

No.

Use pink coloring to get a good pink color.
Then when you add the red you won't need half as much.
Trust me.
I got this tip from a baker, who, when she told me I thought she was CRAZY! Turns out she's a GENIUS!!!

SandiOh Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 12:52am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels710

Start with pink BC. Yes pink, I know, my EXACT response to this comment originally was..."Pink is just light red, if you add red to white you get pink so then you have to add more red to get red? Isn't that the same as adding tons of red which I was trying to avoid in the first place"?

No.

Trust me.
I got this tip from a baker, who, when she told me I thought she was CRAZY! Turns out she's a GENIUS!!!

your my freaking hero.....Not quite as red as I wanted, but a heck of alot better than the 2 batches of salmon buttercream I madel. LOL....It probably would have gotten a better red if I used Americolor, but had used it all and only had Wilton.....so THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:27am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiOh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels710

No.

Trust me.

your my freaking hero.....Not quite as red as I wanted, but a heck of alot better than the 2 batches of salmon buttercream I madel. LOL....It probably would have gotten a better red if I used Americolor, but had used it all and only had Wilton.....so THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Wow !!! sounds awsome Im so going to try it this Wednesday night. Thanks for the tip

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%