Need To Know How This Is Done...

Decorating By love2makecakes Updated 30 Jan 2010 , 4:52pm by makeminepink

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 11

So I have a request to remake a cake that is 50 years old. The client wants only 2 tiers though instead of the orginial 3, they only need it to feed 15-20 ppl. Now I will do the cake any smaller than a 6 & 8" tier so they will need to have more servings.

My question is... From the picture it looks like the arch coming from the top tier is royal icing right? Also if I were to make bc roses would they just stick the side like that? I guess I have never attempted to do that I have always just use them around the base of the cake so that something would support them and they wouldnt just slide down or roll off or something. Any ideas?
LL

10 replies
terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 11

My parents have been married for over 50 years and I believe that is tulle on the topper, not RI. It looks similar to my parent's and many of my aunt & uncle's toppers as well. Tulle was very popular in the 50's.
As for the roses, you can put them on toothpicks and put them in. I've done that before myself. After you make them, let them harden a little and then stick the toothpick in. Does that make sense?

love2makecakes Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 11

I dont mean the the tule in the arch with the bride and groom under it, I mean the arches going from the top of the tier of cake down to the base of the top tier being royal icing.

Good idea with the tooth pick. I sort of feel people would not realize they are there though and be suprised when cutting or eating (lord forbid it is not noticed when cut and served with a toothpick in the slice of cake!)

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 11

Yes, the arches are made in RI. Draw the size you need in paper ( draw several more than needed) , cover with wax paper and pipe over in zig-zags. After they are dry , carefully turn them over and repeat the piping in the other side.
HTH

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 11

Well, I was only trying to help but I have done it before, told the person I made the cake for (she was a friend) who made sure everyone knew.
As for the topper itself, I thought the entire thing was either made of very heavy bricabrac or plastic and was too big for the top itself. Again, I was only trying to be helpful about the flowers.

love2makecakes Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 8:26pm
post #6 of 11

terrig007 - sorry if i came off like i didnt appreciate the suggestion! I didnt mean to make you think that. I was just concerned that if I told a customer that and maybe that was not the person who ended up cutting the cake or serving it and that instruction fell through the cracks or something... if that is the only way i can get them to stay, i will for sure do that and just hope they take them out!

Omicake - thanks for the suggestion about the royal icing, I guess that is what i needed to do. do they stay strong then, i thought it would be good idea if i delivered the cake so if any of them broke i could replace them with new ones.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 11

Oy!

Okay, I'll be the one to say everyone's thoughts out loud:

That is one butt-ugly cake!

I would also say that the arches are RI.

love2makecakes Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 11

LOL! Mensch - that is what I thought when I first saw it too! I guess that one will not be going in my portfolio...

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 11

It's better to have several made in case of breakage.But you could pipe them over floral wire in the same manner for reinforcement.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:34pm
post #10 of 11

LOL I think the re-creation of the cake is a sweet idea! Make yours gorgeous, though!

Can you do the roses in royal or gumpaste instead of buttercream, and use an uncooked piece of spaghetti instead of a toothpick? Then you wouldn't have to worry about the non-food-piece-of-wood issue.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:52pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Oy!

Okay, I'll be the one to say everyone's thoughts out loud:

That is one butt-ugly cake!

I would also say that the arches are RI.

icon_smile.gif Thank you, yes. That's what we were all thinking. I'd be for talking them in to something else!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%