Help!!!! My Gumpaste Basket Handel Broke!

Decorating By amyoungbl00d5 Updated 30 Jan 2010 , 5:58am by all4cake

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a cake, basket of yarn. I made the handle fron fondant/ gumpaste mixture...it's been raining. The handle broke. Can I fix it with chocolate? I really don't have time to make another that would dry in time. Any ideas?

4 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 5

I doubt if the chocolate would hold it. If it isn't going to be eatern you could make one around a piece of wire. In the future always make extras to allow for breakage.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:57am
post #3 of 5

I had the same problem with my pumpkin bucket. I tried choc and it didn't hold. I had to make another one in the end. I found that those types of decorations will hold better if you use fondant mixed with tylose (or gumtex) powder instead of gumpaste. icon_smile.gif

LyndaOlsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LyndaOlsen Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:38am
post #4 of 5

You can try mixing CMC, Tag, thinned gumpaste or fondant and try re-attaching it. However, I have to say I've never had much success at repairing anything that is suspended or heavy.

WELL, I'M VERY RELUCTANT TO ADMIT THIS BUT............. tapedshut.gif If nothing edible works, youre out of time, patience and NO ONE IS GOING TO EAT THE BASKET, get out your glue gun and re-attach it.

I did a large roller coaster out of gum paste 2 years ago at least 5 times. Every time I would get part of it up, the side rails would break. I called the hostess and let her know my only remaining option was to use glue gun. She was perfectly okay with that and thanked me for all my efforts. When I delivered the cake, in order to protect myself, I gave her a disclaimer in writing regarding the non-edible tracks.

Hopefully someone will come up with an edible option I have not thought of.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:58am
post #5 of 5

If there's no wire in it(I gather there's none in the center area...but none in the ends for attaching either), place the handle pieces on cornstarch dusted or lightly greased parchment on top of a cake circle. Apply gum glue to the broken edges of each piece. Allow them to set apart for about 5 minutes then, stick them together. Place cake circle with handle on top in microwave for about 7-8 seconds. Remove, and allow to cool. Repeat 2-3 more times. After the last time, cool completely. Lay a piece of parchment on top then a cake circle on top of the parchment and carefully flip entire setup (cake circle, parchment, handle, parchment, cake circle) so that the first cake circle and parchment is now on top. Carefully, and slowly remove parchment from what is now the top. Repeat the microwaving then cooling steps again. Allow to completely cool. You should have a hardened handle to finish your basket with. If it doesn't work, forget I said anything!

ETA: The piece may seem cool on the outside but it remains warm on the inside. When cooling it between heatings...it just needs to be cool to the touch...no warmth felt. When cooling it completely, give it at least an hour...if you have a small fan...even better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%