Help! Icing Dilema For Tonites Cake Class

Decorating By littleladyk Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 7:43pm by littleladyk

littleladyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littleladyk Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone!

Im on my class 2 wilton cake class, tonites project is the basket-weave. I tryed crumb coating the cake B4 i came to work and it was a disaster! The icing i make was too hard and crumbly, so needless to say i wont be able to use this icing to basket-weave the sides in class.
Has anyone used the Wiltons buttercream icing in the cans that you buy at AC Moore or Michaels to decorate with? Is it a consistancy for decorating? I have a feeling that is my only option and im wondering if it will work??
Thank you all for your help.....

6 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 7

have you tried to add some milk or water to your buttercream that you made?? Sounds like maybe you just need to thin it out some

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

have you tried to add some milk or water to your buttercream that you made?? Sounds like maybe you just need to thin it out some

second that! canned icing tends to be really difficult to decorate with.
xx

Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 7

I also vote to thin your icing out! IMO the canned stuff wouldn't taste as good and also would still need to be thinned down some for your basketweave (it is a really stiff consistency).

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 7

If you don't feel comfortable thinning it out youself, go to class a little early and ask your instructor to help you.

To me the icing in the can is okay but gets really soft the more you stir it and from the warmth of your hands.

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 7

Just add your water slowly, maybe 1/2 tsp at a time so that you don't get it too thin.

Consistency is just something that takes practice.... you will get there!

littleladyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littleladyk Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 7

thanks for all your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%