What Is The Best Way To Apply Fondant To Rice Krispies?

Decorating By sarahd Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 9:02pm by BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD

sarahd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahd Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 8:03am
post #1 of 5

I have made a dump druck bed out of rice krispies. Would it be better to use buttercream or royal icing to minimize the texture of the cereal? Will either of these icings minimize the texture?

TIA

4 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 5

Hi there Sarahd; once you have your piece modeled with the RKT use some melted chocolate to smooth it out and seal it well. Then you can just wrap it in fondant like any other piece of cake. make sure your fondnat is a little thicker to ensure full coverage. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 5

Susan Carberry said to use melted chocolate to smooth out the Rice Krispies. I haven't tried it, but I watched her demo on Extreme Structures. Awesome. If you want to see some pictures I took during the demo, here is a link http://www.photoshow.com/watch/YW9GW3pZ

( just ignore the pics until you get to the demo ones)

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 5

I have covered rkt with both buttercream and chocolate before covering with fondant. one thing i would recommend is that you let the rkt shape dry out and get hard before covering it. if you use buttercream, make sure your fondant is thick enough to mask any dents and such.

BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 5

i use chocolate OR modeling chocolate... then a thin layer of royal icing or piping gel to help the fondant stick icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%