Start Teaching Cake Decorating From Home

Business By rana_cis Updated 31 Jan 2010 , 7:06pm by rana_cis

rana_cis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rana_cis Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 1:45am
post #1 of 3

Hi to all of cake central wonderful ladies.
I am planing to start teaching cake decorating, cookies and cupcakes from home. I am not sure if it is possible to do it and if there is a state regulation and policy?
I live in VA.
looking for your feedback.

2 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:39am
post #2 of 3

I've taught classes at two different places, and they were in commercial spaces, so this might not apply....BUT, as long as you weren't making food for sale, the Dept of Agriculture, who does the inspections, said that you don't have to be licensed the same way that a food-provider would. I'd think that if you were having the students bring all of their own cakes and icing (which is exactly what Wilton does, so it's not unusual) you wouldn't have to be licensed as a food provider.

Having said that, you should check with the Dept of Agriculture, and with the Business licensing office at your county's government offices. They would have the specifics of what licensing you'd need for what you want to do.

rana_cis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rana_cis Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 3

thank you much costumeczar. this is very helpful. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%