Rice Krispy Treats. Your Secrets.

Decorating By CAKEahuna Updated 4 Feb 2010 , 3:22am by kitty122000

CAKEahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKEahuna Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 41

I am going to attempt the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse in a week. I will be using RKTs to construct the head, hand and foot. Any suggestions on how to set the RKT's up so they can be sculpted easier? (Ex. Put in a round mold, use a 9x13 pan and stack, Mold while setting up?)

I tried and failed with a Elmo cake I did. The RKTs didn't hold up. I think I needed more marshmallows. Just don't want a rerun of Elmo.

Thanks for your help.

Carrie

40 replies
The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 12:06am
post #2 of 41

Good question, I would like to know as well.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 2:52am
post #3 of 41

I buy the premade and mash the he!! out of 'em.

MarlaQuack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarlaQuack Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:02am
post #4 of 41

I used equal parts crispy rice cereal and marshmallows. I would recommend practicing ahead of time. The consistency was fine, but it was very hard to get my exact shape. I like the idea of mashing them. I will try that next time.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:10am
post #5 of 41

To mold them, I spray plastic wrap with nonstick cooking spray and put the warm RKT into the plastic, wrap plastic around it, and mold away. It works beautifully. I followed the recipe on the marshmallow bag and it worked well for me.

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:58am
post #6 of 41

I have used homemade using the recipe on the box and premade. For me, the premade was much easier to mold and work with as far as the rkt keeping its shape.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:12am
post #7 of 41

I use the recipe on the box. I allow them to cool (in the pot) just enough so I'm not burning my hands when handling. I coat my hands in butter first, so the RKT don't stick to me.

Superbecky79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Superbecky79 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 1:38pm
post #8 of 41

Great question! I watch Cake Boss and they are always using RKT, and now my brain is thinking of using it for a mountain cake.

Am I correct that RKT are lighter than cake? It's been years since I've had RKT and I remember them being very light! My mountain cake will be huge for effect but I only need to feed 30 people! So I was thinking of RKT.

THANK YOU!

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 2:17pm
post #9 of 41

For me I find that crushing the RC's works best. I then put them in a SS bowl or pan, what ever shape you need, cover them in plastic wrap and foil. then I use a cake round or sq. board, and stand on them to make sure they are packed as firm as possible. I then put them in the fridg for a day or two to get them as hard as possible before I carve them. Hope this helps.

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 2:20pm
post #10 of 41

i remember someone posting that they mixed candy clay with their rkt's,which made it really sturdy.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:52pm
post #11 of 41

Great Thread,,I too am going to use ready made RKT for a sceptre and top of a crown...I may have a 3D Elmo cake that I will need to do one as well...

CAKE_NEWBIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKE_NEWBIE Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:55pm
post #12 of 41

on cake boss they use the premade big size of rkt

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:16pm
post #13 of 41

When I use them, I crush the crispies up before mixing in the with the marshmallow. I also don't use any butter in the recipe. After you get your basic shape and them set up, you can then use a knife to carve them a little bit. This is what works for me. HIH

hollylikescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollylikescake Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:22pm
post #14 of 41

Do they sell the premade RKT bigger that the little snack size bars? For my sons birthday I am going to make a Piranah Plant from Super Mario Brothers. The bottom green pipe would be 3 or 4 - 8" rounds and the red and white piranah would be RKT molded in the sports ball pan. My fear is that is alot or RKT just suspended in air/not sitting on something to keep it firm? What is the best way to do this with out the Piranah slowly drooping or falling off.
LL

hollylikescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollylikescake Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:23pm
post #15 of 41

wow, that pic came out really big, sorry.

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:50pm
post #16 of 41

I recently tried the method of mixing 50/50 with candy clay and was REALLY happy with how it turned out. using the candy clay made it really easy to hide any seams when applying the final coat. if you dont know how to make candy clay check out the tutorial I made, it's super easy!

Superbecky79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Superbecky79 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:09pm
post #17 of 41

Wow, thank you for telling me not to use butter! So I will try 50% rice krispies and 50% marshmallows.

reedyreedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reedyreedy Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:11pm
post #18 of 41

RC's sound like just what I need!! I use styrofoam (polystyrene) for pieces that will be too heavy, but would love to use something edible. Does anyone know of an equivalent in the UK?

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:26pm
post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by reedyreedy

RC's sound like just what I need!! I use styrofoam (polystyrene) for pieces that will be too heavy, but would love to use something edible. Does anyone know of an equivalent in the UK?

any puff rice cereal

reedyreedy Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 8:42am
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedyreedy

any puff rice cereal

Thanks cupcakemkr, thats great news! Please excuse me being so dim, but what is it that sticks the dry cereal together?! I have seen lots of people mention marshmallows - I cant seem to find a recipe anywhere. We dont have 'Rice Krispy Treats' in the UK. Thanks for any help. thumbs_up.gif

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 9:03am
post #21 of 41

I buy the club pack of pre made lol, done it both ways, and I prefer the box.

reedyreedy Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 9:29am
post #22 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

I buy the club pack of pre made lol, done it both ways, and I prefer the box.

Club pack of pre-made...??? So sorry, I'm in the UK, and I dont think we can get anything like rice krispy treats. We just have the dry cereal, rice crispies. Does anyone know of a recipe or product that I could use? Wish we could get them, they sound so easy!! icon_rolleyes.gif

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 9:50am
post #23 of 41

Here's a basic recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/Rice-Krispies-Treats-209504?scaleto=24&sys=e You can change the measurements to metric, if needed.

Mcm11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mcm11 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 9:59am
post #24 of 41

In the UK look for Kellogs Rice Krispie Squares, the marshmallow ones. You can find them with the breakfast bars in the cereal aisle. You can sometimes get them cheaply in Home Bargains.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 11:01am
post #25 of 41

Do people recommend equal parts by weight or by volume?

reedyreedy Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:06pm
post #26 of 41

Thank you so much!! You are all so helpful, I really appreciate it! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:27am
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty122000

I recently tried the method of mixing 50/50 with candy clay and was REALLY happy with how it turned out. using the candy clay made it really easy to hide any seams when applying the final coat. if you dont know how to make candy clay check out the tutorial I made, it's super easy!

Do you mean that you take 6 oz of candy clay and 6 oz of already made RK treats and mix them together???? or do you add the RK into the candy clay without first mixing them with marshmallow??

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:45am
post #28 of 41

ok.. keen to try this soon as well to make a pig cake.. im in australia.. does anyone know if an lcm bar is the equivalent to the premade rkt in the u.s??

thanks. =)

tatechloeandlucysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatechloeandlucysmom Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:55am
post #29 of 41

Kitty, I just watched your tutorial! THANK YOU FOR THAT! It was super cute! -That song (and segment) is about the only thing about "Lazy Town" that doesn't melt my brain! icon_smile.gif Thanks to the rest of you for all of the helpful info!!!

ckckhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckckhome Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:14pm
post #30 of 41

Great information love the youtube tutorial. How long can you store the rice krispies in the freezer? What is the proper way to wrap for freezing?

Thanks CC members you are the greatest

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%