How Long Does It Take Gumpaste To Dry?

Decorating By Wesha Updated 8 Oct 2010 , 9:38pm by VoilaCakes

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 4

Hey Guys,

I have my first gumpaste shoe that was due Saturday, due tomorrow. I will not be able to start on it until 7pm tonight. The customer is picking up the cake tomorrow @5pm because they are calling for a significant snow storm on Saturday. Will the shoe be dry enough by then? It will be almost 24 hours.

3 replies
megmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megmarie Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 4

It depends on thickness, my 1/8" flowers took only a few hours...hopefully someone who has done a shoe can be of more help!

mireillea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mireillea Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 4

Hi Wesha,
It depends on what gumpaste you use. For instance, patinum paste from sugarcity, dries in a couple of hours whereas homemade gumpaste takes a lot longer. And then of course it also depends on the thickness, the thicker the material, the longer it takes to dry. In my opinion, 24 hours for a shoe is pretty short. I let them dry at least 3 - 4 days for a truly solid shoe. But... that doesn't mean that you cannot make it or use it in a shorter time frame. Just advise your customer to be a bit careful with it.

For future gumpaste requests, I would recommend you start as early as possible. The longer you let your flowers or whatever dry, the better they become. All the fluids in the gumpaste evaporate over time which makes your gumpaste materials lighter too.

VoilaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VoilaCakes Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 4

Just curious, what was the result of your shoe... Did everything work out well?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%