Pricing A Mustang Car Cake

Decorating By Acentrix04 Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 6:46am by erinalicia

Acentrix04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Acentrix04 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:34am
post #1 of 8

How do I price this????

I have a client that just recently ordered a Mustang Car cake. She's requesting a strawberry cake, StrawB and cream filling, white chocolate bc for about 20-30 people. I heard that making a car cake has many details and very time consuming... I just want to make sure that I don't low ball the price, when I should charge more than usual. Is $75 too low/high??

FYI: The client has ordered several times before and I offered to give her 10% off discount. Is this wise? Or only on larger cake orders of $100 or more?

HELP ALL YOU EXPERTS OUT THERE!!!! icon_confused.gif

7 replies
TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 8

I can never seem to bring myself to do it but carved cakes should start at $8 a serving...so that would be $160-$240.

Cars do have a lot of details and are indeed very time consuming if you're doing the research to make them pretty accurate.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 8

$999. I price less than Charm City in order to remain competative. icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gif

Seriously, though here's ALL you need to take into consideratoin:
1) cost of ingredients including shipping or gas + wear and tear on your vehicle to go to the store
2) cost of utilities used while making and decorating: electricity, gas, water.
3) how long it took you x how much you want to make per hour

If you know that, then you can figure out how much to charge for ANY cake.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 8

Does anyone know how to estimate a fair amount of time to bill for on a car cake (or any other for that matter)? I've only done 1 car cake for DH, it was about 15 servings and it took me FOREVER, especially if I include the time it took to find blueprints and get them to scale as a template for the cake. I feel like if I charged someone based on the bazillion hours it took me, it would be really unfair b/c I'm just way too slow. Is there a good way to estimate a fair amount of time?

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acentrix04

How do I price this????

I have a client that just recently ordered a Mustang Car cake. She's requesting a strawberry cake, StrawB and cream filling, white chocolate bc for about 20-30 people. I heard that making a car cake has many details and very time consuming... I just want to make sure that I don't low ball the price, when I should charge more than usual. Is $75 too low/high??

FYI: The client has ordered several times before and I offered to give her 10% off discount. Is this wise? Or only on larger cake orders of $100 or more?

HELP ALL YOU EXPERTS OUT THERE!!!! icon_confused.gif

$75 for a mustang cake for 20-30 people is definitely too low!! That comes out to about 2.50 per serving. I've done a car cake before, for 100 people and I charged 550.00. After I got done with the cake, I realized I waaaaaaaayyyyyyy undercharged for it. I didnt consider the time it would take to do all the detail work.

So, I think you need to up your price and charge at least $6-8 per serving. (and some folks might think that's too low) HTH icon_smile.gif

Acentrix04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Acentrix04 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 2:42am
post #6 of 8

Wow!!!! Thank you so much for all of your replies. All this time I have been under pricing all of my cakes. You live and you learn. I think it's time to start adjusting all of my cake prices and research my local competitors.

Thank you all for your input.

icon_biggrin.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:01am
post #7 of 8

Um, never discount. And $75?!?!?!? Thats high way robbery! Cake car $350. I don't do servings, I do labor. Can you imagine trying to carve a car that feeds only 20 people?! Nope. Too hard. icon_smile.gif

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 6:46am
post #8 of 8

I've only done one car cake, and I bought Mike's (Mike's Amazing Cakes) car DVD. I realized that I do NOT have the patience it takes to do something with that kind of detail. I was a sobbing, hormonal mess by the time it was all said and done.

$75 is WAAAAYYYY too low!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%