Flour Weights

Baking By BeesKnees578 Updated 28 Jan 2010 , 1:30pm by FullHouse

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 4

I have been trying to use weights rather than measures for my recipes, just to make them more consistent. I was going with the general idea that a cup of scooped and leveled AP flour weighs 4.5 oz. (as confirmed by chef Nick Malgieri this weekend at a cake class). HOWEVER, I just bought this AP flour from King Milling Co. I have measured 3 times and it's not coming anywhere near the 4.5 mark. More like 4.0, if that!?!?!?! Should I still do the 4.5 or try it with the 4.0 for this particular flour? Well, I am going to try it anyway at 4.0, but does anyone have a similar experience or advice?????

3 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 4

I've seen everywhere from 4 to 5 ozs. It will depend on many factors, flour type, humidity just to name a few.

Mike

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 4

When you go by weight, you go by weight. Use a scale to measure out how much flour the recipe calls for. Doesn't matter how many cups that equals as that can change. That's the whole point behind using weight as it is constant, volume isnt'.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 4

Hope this doesn't count as hijacking the thread but.... I've noticed that when I try to convert measurements to weight in a recipe that only provides volume measurements I can't figure out what the weight is really supposed to be.

Example: NFSC
2 cups sugar
The Well Decorated Cake by Toba Garrett has a conversion table in the back, she says:
1 cup gran. sugar = 230g
but 2 cups = 454g (why is it not just double to = 460g)?

Then I checked the bag of sugar, the nutrition info states
1 tsp (4g), which calculates to
1 cup = 192g icon_confused.gif

So.... I checked a conversion website, typed in 2 cups and got yet a different measurement.

I wound up using Toba Garrentt's measurements but not sure yet what the results will be, dough is in my fridge. How do I know which one to use, they are all so different???? icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%