Burnt Orange

Decorating By RetiredNavyChief Updated 28 Jan 2010 , 3:27pm by Cakeonista

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all, I have a wedding cake coming up and the bride wants a deep burnt orange. Any idea as to what color to start with, and how do i get that color. Oh its fondant. I am gussing maybe start with ivory fondant, orange and then brown.....ugh what a color guess wedding cake colors are not traditional anymore.....

5 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 6

Burnt orange is a very trendy wedding color right now, although usually for fall weddings (along with rust!).

Make sure the bride gives you a color swatch. Your idea of burnt orange and her idea of burnt orange might not be the same!

I'd say your idea of colors is pretty close, although you may need to add a little red as well.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:15am
post #3 of 6

I'm not an expert at mixing colors...but I think you may want to look for Wilton "copper". I bought it for Halloween for pumpkin shaped sugar cookies. Maybe it's easier to start from here?

Just a thought...

(I put pumpkin pic in my gallery)

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:43am
post #4 of 6

hi if you look at my fall cake, that color is burnt orange. I started off with yellow colored fondant. added orange to get the brightness that i wanted, then I added red until i got the burnt color that i needed. I was totally surprised at how much RED it took to get that color of orange. Once you get to the point that you think the fondant is almost where you want it. LET IT SIT FOR ATLEAST HALF AN HOUR. I wrapped mine in plastic let it sit, worked on another aspect of the cake, and the fondant darkened to exactly the color i needed.

definiately get the bride to show you what she believes burnt orange to be.

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks, i didnt think to start with yellow, your color of cake might be close to what she wants. She said she wanted a deep rich burnt orange. Oh i will get a color swatch. The wedding is in October so the fall thing is into play. She picked a cake with a branch and fall leaves.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 6

EvMarie I agree that copper food paste does have a burnt orange tinge. Maybe you can add more orange to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%