The New Cricutcake

Decorating By cloetzu Updated 28 Jan 2010 , 9:04pm by greengyrl26

pezadoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pezadoodle Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 11:24am
post #31 of 57

the cake cartridge is only going to be available with the new machine icon_sad.gif but food safe markers now that is a GREAT idea!!!!!!! i will let provocraft know and see if it is on their agenda.....

the cricut is amazing for anyone on the fence! i DO believe he price on this new cake machine will come down fter a while and many online stores often have it for less....

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:12pm
post #32 of 57

If cricut knows what's best they will sell the cartridge seperately from the machine!

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:25pm
post #33 of 57

Yes. Surely they are more business savvy than that. I would hope that they know that all of us who've already figured out how to use our Cricuts for cake will NOT be paying $400 for another machine to do the same thing that we can already do. Their only hope at getting more $$ from us is to sell the new components separately...including the cake cartridge. Though, we don't really even need that if you have SCAL. icon_smile.gif

alvarezmom Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:52pm
post #34 of 57

SCAL is something cricut sells?

I went to Wal Mart last night and looked at the Cricut's. I showed my husband what I wanted. They had a bunch of the cartridge's, and the markers.

Yes they have to realize ppl who already have one of the three machines will not pay another $399 just for the cartrdige. I bet it will take some time for them to sell the cartridge by it self. I hope not, but that is always a possibility.

pezadoodle Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:54pm
post #35 of 57

nope they always have an exclusive cart with new machines. HOWEVER, a bunch of us met with the VP of product development and that was one thing we discussed - he has said he will take it under advisement so don't get too excited BUT i can tell you if you aren't already aware. all cartridges come with reward points and a FEW of the exclusive cartridges from previous machines can be purchased with reward points. it comes to aabout one free cartridge for every 9 carts you buy....

greengyrl26 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:56pm
post #36 of 57

SCAL is a design program. It lets you copy almost any image from the web & edit it & cut it from your Cricut...no need to buy a ton of cartridges! There's a learning curve with it (as with any computer program), but its worth it. SCAL is short for Sure Cuts A Lot, and is not sold by Cricut/Provocraft. Here's a link:
www craftedge com/products/products html
(replace spaces with periods)

alvarezmom Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:56pm
post #37 of 57

I bet they hold out for a couple of months before selling the cartridge.

pezadoodle-do you know if they plan on having more than 1 cake cartridge?

alvarezmom Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:58pm
post #38 of 57

greengyrl26-what type of cricut do you have? I think I want the expression, but maybe I should get the smaller one since I have no clue how to work the cricut..

greengyrl26 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:03pm
post #39 of 57

They all work in the same way. The advantage of the Expression is that it will cut up to 12" wide! So...if you wanted to cut some elegant lace kind of thing for the top of a cake...the Expression or the CricutCake would be the only ones that can do that. I just like the flexibility of having the larger one. I hate the thought of buying something cheaper, only to end up wishing I had the larger one.

Also...working the Cricut is the easy part....getting your fondant/tylose or gumpaste to the right thickness, right dryness, etc...is the tricky part. Lots of trial and error here. Seriously...LOTS of trial and error. Not trying to scare anyone off, but just want you to be prepared to get really frustrated and spend a few days until you get it right. I read ALL of the cricut posts on here, watched the DVD, contacted CCers who had success with it, and it STILL took me 3 solid days. I had just about had it, when I finally got it right!

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:06pm
post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by pezadoodle

all cartridges come with reward points and a FEW of the exclusive cartridges from previous machines can be purchased with reward points. it comes to aabout one free cartridge for every 9 carts you buy....

When I first got my little cricut (which I sold to justify to get the experssion) I was purchasing cartridges. I have about 6 or 8. Once I heard about SCAL and purchased it, I honestly don't see myself buying cartridges.

alvarezmom Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:14pm
post #41 of 57

Now that I think about it maybe I shoud get a Create. It's not the smallest and its not the biggest. I have only done 3 tier cakes and I'm just getting comfortable with the height.

Do you use a pasta machine (roller). I read that using one really helps to get the thinness of the fondant/tylose mix to the right thickness. I also read that once you roll it out let it sit for about 10 minutes so it gets a little hard.

divaricks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaricks Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:32pm
post #42 of 57

Am I the only one that thinks perhaps using these types of machines takes the creative skill out of doing everything by hand yourself? If anyone could do it then they wouldn't need to come into my shop and pay me for my talent and skill. Just a thought - it seems a bit like cheating to me - we have been making 2-D images all by hand and feel really accomplished when we do. Not trying to be negative I just think all this fancy stuff takes the skill away.

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:33pm
post #43 of 57

greengyrl26,

Does SCAL only work with the Cricut Expression?

Thanks!

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:33pm
post #44 of 57

I just ordered a Cricut Expressions from HSN this morning, I'm wondering if I should have waited to get the new cake cricut. Any opinions?

alvarezmom Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:02pm
post #45 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by divaricks

Am I the only one that thinks perhaps using these types of machines takes the creative skill out of doing everything by hand yourself? If anyone could do it then they wouldn't need to come into my shop and pay me for my talent and skill. Just a thought - it seems a bit like cheating to me - we have been making 2-D images all by hand and feel really accomplished when we do. Not trying to be negative I just think all this fancy stuff takes the skill away.

Your cakes look fabulous!!! thumbs_up.gif I can see your point. However some patterns are to hard to recreate. I think this just opens the door to new possibilities and will actually help boost some caker's business. It may even help those bakers that need a little extra boost in their confidence. I dont think this will take away from any one only help them in the long run.

divaricks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaricks Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:09pm
post #46 of 57

alvarezmom - I can totally see where this could become a good tool to use. I do have a lot of cutters and this could replace those. It was just a thought I had when I was watching the video. Thank you for your compliemts on my cakes - I don't have many of them posted here - I have started putting everything on my website, but thank you for looking! icon_smile.gif

FierceConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FierceConfections Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:15pm
post #47 of 57
Quote:

I feel exactly the same way. But, I guess that's technology for you. It kills artistry and skill to an extent. It's like how hand-drawn animation is getting less and less common in favor of CGI and digital animation. icon_sad.gif

greengyrl26 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:18pm
post #48 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by FierceConfections

Quote:

I feel exactly the same way. But, I guess that's technology for you. It kills artistry and skill to an extent. It's like how hand-drawn animation is getting less and less common in favor of CGI and digital animation. icon_sad.gif

Personally, I don't see how it's any different than using individual cutters. It's the exact same thing. The only difference is that this machine will allow you to adjust sizes, so you don't have to buy tons of cutters. And you can make your own designs, instead of having a fabulous idea in your head and not being able to find cutters to suit you and having to painstakingly spend hours to free-hand it.

You still have to have the creative eye. This machine will not make you a better cake designer (IMO). It will only help you speed the process and ultimately, increase your profitability.

edited to say:
Oh, and (just my opinion), CGI and digital animation is a beautiful art form. It takes real skill, dedication & raw talent succeed in that field. I have some knowledge of this field. I'm a graphic designer. I'm great at print & web design...but am HORRIBLE at CGI & animation. They're just two different arts & different skill sets. Doesn't take away from hand drawn animation at all.

pezadoodle Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:20pm
post #49 of 57

i don't find that using my cricut has killed my creativity in the least in my papercrafting so i think this is the same thing. also there is ALOT more to purchasing a gorgeous cake than how the images were cut out. honestly people who don't craft/already make cakes will not likely suddenly make them now that this is here.

also you might want to try the program make the cut for designing your own elements to cut. it has a much easier lerning curve than SCAL.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:41pm
post #50 of 57

I just purchased Make The Cut and am learning to use it. It seems a little easier to use then SCAL

westiemomx4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
westiemomx4 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:37pm
post #51 of 57

Cricut is selling the new Cricut cake for $399. But I found them on ebay for $359 They start selling in April early May. Me and my 2 daughters have a small home buisness that makes cakes. This is going to be a big time saver. Can't wait

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:08pm
post #52 of 57
Quote:

I have the same guilty thought, but I already use molds and cutters, so there really isn't any difference. The cakes like the one you have for your avatar will always be special because they're modelled by hand, but the cricut is just another tool to use for certain purposes. I won't be using it on every cake.

I just bought a cricut expressions today on ebay. I happened to look it up and there was one selling with only 1 minute left. I swooped in and got it for $215 (sorry if I outbid one of you)

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:37pm
post #53 of 57
Quote:

No, you're not the only one...I was reading down thru these posts looking for you!!! I'm with YOU on this. I won't have a purpose to create if everything I do is 'made easier' by a machine...... thumbsdown.gif

sunnybono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnybono Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 8:19pm
post #54 of 57

I am a scrapbooker and I can't imagine that it would be food safe to use my papercrafting Cricut for fondant or gumpaste. I use a lot of glitter paper and I'd be afraid that fibers and glitter would cause a problem with gum paste. I think if this new Cricut Cake works well, it would be a great investment! I love my regular Cricut and I have had it for three years. I love it. I can't wait to hear how anyone likes the new Cricut Cake!

greengyrl26 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 8:29pm
post #55 of 57

most of us that use Cricut for fondant/gumpaste, use it exclusively for that. At least I do...
So, no worries about food safety there.

sunnybono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnybono Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 8:52pm
post #56 of 57

Tell me more greengyrl...how do I use my cricut with fondant???

greengyrl26 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 9:04pm
post #57 of 57

The best thing to do is order the DVD from Linda McClure, and read all the threads on this site about the Cricut. Linda invented this technique and gives step-by-step instructions on exactly what to do! (she's also featured on the new cricut cake video).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%