The New Cricutcake

Decorating By cloetzu Updated 28 Jan 2010 , 9:04pm by greengyrl26

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 57

Yesturday I learned that Provo is coming out with a new cutting machine - the CricutCake - an electronic cutter aimed at cake decorators! I have more info no my blog: http://cloesspace.blogspot.com/ if you are interested in reading more as well as links to videos of the machine.

56 replies
pezadoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pezadoodle Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 57

hiya!
i came here looking for just this topic! i am a papercrfter first but do LOADS of other crafty things including royal icing sugar cookie decorating and dabbling in cake decorating. i have been particularly interested in learning fondant & gum paste recently. imagine my surprise when i show up at CHA (Craft & Hobby association trade show for retailers) and find my beloved provocraft has come out with a cricut for gumpaste. now i know lots of folks have been using the regular cricut for some time but this one has some definite advntages.

imagine my even bigger shock when i was at their private release party and they GAVE ONE TO ALL OF US IN THE ROOM FOR FREE!!! ACK!!!! i am in heaven i tell ya! i have been a cricut user for several years now but wanted to come over here and see what the CAKERS think of it!

and BTW if you want to see some super fun pics of jim colby, VP of provocraft be sure to hit my blog - pezadoodle.wordpress.com.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 57

It looks like fun, but it's kind of expensive at $399. It's probably a good investment for someone who does lots of fondant cakes, but for the occasional caker, it's kind of steep.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 57

I wonder how much it is going to cost???

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 57

Guys, there are like 5 other threads about this same topic already going around. The macine will cost $399, but it's only slightly different than the Expression, which most of us have already been using for cakes. The new machine & accessories come out in April and I will likely only buy the new mat & blade, and keep using my Expression. icon_smile.gif

alvarezmom Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 57

$399 , No thanks. I'd rather adapt the other machines...

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 57

while I think all the design possiblities for the cricut are exciting, I don't understand why people want to put all that gumpaste on a cake? don't you want to eat the cake?

greengyrl26 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:39pm
post #8 of 57

I actually don't use gumpaste. I use fondant with a little tylose added in. And it's rolled so thin, it's really not an issue. Same as adding fondant decorations onto your cake. Same thing, just much, MUCH easier & faster to cut than before!

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:43pm
post #9 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengyrl26

I actually don't use gumpaste. I use fondant with a little tylose added in. And it's rolled so thin, it's really not an issue. Same as adding fondant decorations onto your cake. Same thing, just much, MUCH easier & faster to cut than before!

cool. I thought you could only use gp.

alvarezmom Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:46pm
post #10 of 57

I did read some where that you can add tylose to your fondant and use with the cricut.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:47pm
post #11 of 57

The price stops me! Bought my little personal one at Joann's for $78 on black Friday - it's enough for my needs. I'm trying to raise funds - not spend it all on toys that I won't use on a regular basis!

greengyrl26 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:47pm
post #12 of 57

I think most people use fondant/tylose. But Linda McClure (who invented this technique & has an instruction video out) uses gumpaste, and it's easier to type gumpaste than fondant/tylose. icon_smile.gif

Personally, I don't like gp at all. It's, well..tooo gummy!

alvarezmom Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:58pm
post #13 of 57

greengyrl26-Do you know what cartridge is being used to make the border of the cake that Cricut has on their website? The cake is pink and white on the home page that is introducing the cake machine.

greengyrl26 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:06pm
post #14 of 57

The new cake machine is coming with a new cake cartridge, and I believe that's where those designs are coming from. I looked at the designs on the cartridge (there's a link on here somewhere to the detailed cartridge booklet), and it has some nice stuff on it. And as I understand it, they'll be coming out with more "cake related" cartridges in the future. The new cartridges will still work with any cricut machine. icon_smile.gif So...maybe I'll buy a cartridge along with the mat & blade. icon_smile.gif

alvarezmom Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:10pm
post #15 of 57

I've been searching for a cricut. I've checked Craig's List for one that I can mess around with to make sure I'd get use from it. I cant see myself spending over $200 for something that I'm not going to like to use. I am interested in the cartridges that will come out once the cake machine does.

greengyrl26 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:13pm
post #16 of 57

alvarezmom...check out the Scooby cake in my photos. All of the scoobys, the #5 and the name were cut with the Cricut. I LOVE it. I now have very little need for cutters at all, except some flower cutters. It just makes everything so very easy. icon_smile.gif

alvarezmom Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:20pm
post #17 of 57

I have seen your scooby cake, and I loved it the 1st time I saw it!!

Did you have to cut out the shapes several times for each color (fondant)?

I'd love to get a cricut and play around with it if I know I'm going to use it more than once and not for certain cakes. I looked through some of the cartridges and they have allot of cool designs.

You can even upload your own image, right?

greengyrl26 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:08pm
post #18 of 57

I used SCAL (sure cuts a lot) to place the images the way I wanted to on the screen. What you see on the screen in SCAL is what the Cricut cuts, in exactly the same places. So, I had the basic black outline, the brown part, the eyes and the collar. I laid them out separately and had colored fondant/tylose laid out on the mat in the same places. SO, you push "cut" once, and it cuts everything at the same time. Then just piece them together. Does that make sense?

alvarezmom Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:17pm
post #19 of 57

icon_biggrin.gif HE HE HE HE

Kinda... I should mention I'm a visual person! icon_redface.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:33pm
post #20 of 57

Does anyone know if they will be coming out with edible ink markers so we don't have to clean and reuse the regular ones like Linda shows on her DVD?

alvarezmom Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:41pm
post #21 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Does anyone know if they will be coming out with edible ink markers so we don't have to clean and reuse the regular ones like Linda shows on her DVD?

???? I'm so new to the cricut scene. What do you mean? I thought you used colored fondant/gumpaste. We have to use ink for this?

greengyrl26 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 8:06pm
post #22 of 57

The Cricut also has markers that you can use instead of the blade. So you would be drawing instead of cutting. Linda McClure empties these markers out & cleans them very well. Then fills them with airbrush colors. Then you put one of the newly cleaned & filled markers into the cricut & you can draw outlines, like people faces or stuff like that. Then you can change the markers out & put a blade back in and cut the outline of whatever you just drew. Lots of possibilities here. icon_wink.gif

If Cricut is smart, they'll come out with food safe markers too. icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 8:14pm
post #23 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengyrl26

The Cricut also has markers that you can use instead of the blade. So you would be drawing instead of cutting. Linda McClure empties these markers out & cleans them very well. Then fills them with airbrush colors. Then you put one of the newly cleaned & filled markers into the cricut & you can draw outlines, like people faces or stuff like that. Then you can change the markers out & put a blade back in and cut the outline of whatever you just drew. Lots of possibilities here. icon_wink.gif

If Cricut is smart, they'll come out with food safe markers too. icon_smile.gif

We can only hope. I'm sure there is a market for them as I don't want to mess with cleaning them out and refilling them.

alvarezmom Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 8:17pm
post #24 of 57

Got cha!!! icon_wink.gif

Man this cricut thing sounds AMAZING!!! I think I want one more than an airbrush machine.

Is Linda's website creative desing cakes .com??? If so the work on the cakes is amazing.

alvarezmom Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 8:24pm
post #25 of 57

icon_confused.gif There isnt a way on her website to order her two DVD's????

greengyrl26 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 8:28pm
post #26 of 57

to order the DVD:
deseretdesigns com/index_2 html (replace spaces with periods)

alvarezmom Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 8:35pm
post #27 of 57

It's blocked for me.. I'll have to try when I get home.

LOL I found a thread on Cricut and there talking about tonedna. All good of course! I was looking for Cake DVD's for Cricut.

http://www.cricut.com/(S(snntvd55ddzldv3zmky5by3a))/messageboard/tm.aspx?m=6020481&mpage=1&key=

Towards the bottom!!!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 8:44pm
post #28 of 57

Sounds cool. But I think I'd get one of the other ones instead, if I ever get one, as I also do scrapbooking. I'd rather have 1 machine that I can switch the blade and matt out, depending on what I'm using it for.

alvarezmom Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 8:49pm
post #29 of 57

I cant wait to see the cartridges for the cakes!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 8:57pm
post #30 of 57

I need to get a Cricut... This will be my next business purchase I do believe. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%