Fondant Vs Gumpaste

Decorating By mandirombold Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 4:15pm by icer101

mandirombold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandirombold Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:13am
post #1 of 7

I am comfortable working with fondant, using it for figures etc., but I thought that I would try gumpaste (Wilton premade) because it dries so fast and so hard. but I had a lot a trouble with it. I thought it was just like fondant? I used it to make purse handles and it crinkle, i seemed to have a lot a cracks and lines. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a trick to the whole gumpaste thing? Does any one have a preference? Should I just add Tylose to my fondant (the don't sell it here)?

6 replies
kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:40am
post #2 of 7

I don't know if this will help, but when I use the premade gumpaste- I always have to cut off some hard stuff that is on it and then I grease my hands with Crisco and work it so it is nice and smooth. Sometimes there are little hard peices in it that I just keep taking out. I also mix half fondant and half gumpaste when I make things. It still dries quickly and it seems easier to work with. I am fairly new to making things with this but so far it it is working for me. I hope that helps you.

Berniebeaver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Berniebeaver Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:43am
post #3 of 7

I find that Wilton ready made fondant works great,it dries quick enough but not fast enough to crack.I have trouble with gumpaste too,I live in a drier climate so that might play a part.Unfortunatly Wiltons fondant tastes horrible.I also like to use a half fondant /modeling chocolate combo,you can purchase alot of these products at Global sugar art,and they are great to deal with,hope this helps!.

mandirombold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandirombold Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 7

I have never tried modeling chocolate do you make it, and actually mix it with MM fondant? Would you use this to replace like a gumpaste figure? I am going to try to mix 1/2 gumpaste with 1/2 fondant.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 7

Since gumpaste dries fastert han fondant youhave to work faster. The outside skin will dry fast and it will leave little crackes and wringles if you keep working with it.

If you are shaping something like that keep some crisco on your hands and on your gumpaste to help keep the air off it.

You can also mix in some fondant to slow the drying time down a little to give you more time to work with it.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 7

I only use fondant with tylose mixed in and love it. You have plenty of time to work with it and it dries without cracking. Give it a try!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 7

i always use WILTON fondant and WILTON G/P... 50/50 .. when modeling smaller projects... i use WILTON g/p .. for flowers.. use a little shortening on hands when working with it.. never fails me.. i make nick lodges g/p recipe also.. i make pastiallage when making taller projects.. furniture ,etc..hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%