First Time Cake: What Do I Make It Out Of?

Decorating By Kat0824 Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 7:36am by Kat0824

Kat0824 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kat0824 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:05am
post #1 of 8

I've never made a "professional" cake before, always the ones from the box but I am going to be making a Dodgers cake for a party that I want to look really good.

My question is, can the box cake be used for this cake? Will it work well with fondant? and on the cake television shows, how are they able to move and mess around with the cake so much without them crumbling? Do they put them in the freezer to make them hard?

Thanks!!! [/b]

7 replies
erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:34am
post #2 of 8

Some people use straight box cake mix which is fine. You aren't very specific about the structure of the cake you're wanting to make. Are you wanting to make a 3D baseball cake? I'm assuming something of that nature since it's a Dodgers cake.

My recommendation is to use a cake mix extender recipe or the WASC (white almond sour cream) recipe which you can find in the recipes section. These recipes are a bit more dense than just a straight cake mix. You could also try a pound cake recipe.

As for handling the cakes and them not crumbling, it all depends on the texture and density of the cake. Freezing the cakes does make it easier to handle and carve.

Kat0824 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:31am
post #3 of 8

Thanks so much for your help! its just going to be a two layer cake. The bottom with blue fondant and top with white. Kind of like "gift"

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:45am
post #4 of 8

If you're only doing a layer cake then straight cake mix is fine if that is what you like. I prefer the taste of doctored mixes or scratch, but that's me.

Check out some of the tutorials here and search YouTube for videos on covering a cake with fondant.

Mensch- while I appreciate and respect your contributions and advice most of the time, as of late your posts are negative, rude and just plain unnecessary. If these kinds of posts irritate you that much, then don't read them. Not everyone who is on this site has been baking and decorating cakes for a long time, nor do they have a business. This site is free and open for anyone to join regardless of their experience level.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:48am
post #5 of 8

really mensch, that was nice...

Yes I agree use the wasc recipe with a yellow cake mix, if you can't find the recipe pvt message me and I will send it. hth welcome to cake central. there are so many nice people here who will help you. icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:49am
post #6 of 8

Mensch- while I appreciate and respect your contributions and advice most of the time, as of late your posts are negative, rude and just plain unnecessary. If these kinds of posts irritate you that much, then don't read them. Not everyone who is on this site has been baking and decorating cakes for a long time, nor do they have a business. This site is free and open for anyone to join regardless of their experience level.[/quote]

BRAVO. COULD NOT HAVE SAID THAT BETTER....THANKS

Kat0824 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:36am
post #8 of 8

Thanks you guys! Your help is much appreciated. I admire all of your knowledge! wasc it is!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%