Anyone Ship Their Wedding Cakes? Should I Even Attempt?

Decorating By wrightway777 Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 11:54pm by spring

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:41am
post #1 of 4

I have a client that loved my cakes so much that she wants me to do her Wedding Cake and ship it across the state! I'm totally flattered but I wonder if I should even attempt this. I need tips, smoke signals and help would be greatly appreciated. I wonder if I should have stipulations like...can only be pound cake.....oh my fondant.....I would just die if it arrived damaged!!

3 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:44am
post #2 of 4

Colette Peters used to do it, but as I understand from my last conversation with her, it just became too expensive and too much of a hassle. She used a white glove service that worked with Continental Airlines.

I think Ron Ben-Israel will still do it. He used to require that it be sent early enough that if there were a problem, it could be sent back to him, repaired, and then sent out again............, but I believe he now requires that he or someone from his shop travel with the cake..........I heard this about 6 months ago.

Sorry, but it sure sounds like a nightmare of worry to me......

Rae

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:13am
post #3 of 4

Blakescakes - thats given me a good idea to check with the local major airline - thanks.
I think that I might entertain the thought of driving it but it would be at least a 5-6 (I'm below Atlanta to drive to Savannah) hour drive. But...ashamedly... I dont even know where to start as far as a delivery fee...like per cent mileage or a straight delivery/travel fee? Everyone sees Charm City Cakes do it a good bit. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Note: I love Ron Ben Israel...I wish he would come out with a DVD. Since I'm here in the South I am no where near him, but his work is superb...a class with him would be close to heaven for me. Yep - I wold even embarrass myself to all ends just to get his autograph.

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 4

wrightway777, I love Ron Ben-Israel too! In fact he will be teaching classes at my shop in Savannah, Ga March 2,3,4 (southern flowers) and March 6,7,8 Ron will teach mold making and bling class!

I've had the pleasure of taking several classes from Ron and he is a fabulous teacher plus his workmanship is second to none. He is very forthcoming with his knowledge.

Check out our blog for more details. www.minetterushing.typepad.com Maybe you can join us?

Minette

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%