Smooth Fondant

Decorating By gimmeabreak Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 9:12pm by MrsNancyB1

gimmeabreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gimmeabreak Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 24

What do I do to get the fondant to be extra smooth. When I see others picture the fondant looks smooth. My cakes look smooth when I put it on the fondant, but in the pictures it doesn't look so smooth and it's driving me nuts.

23 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 24

It would help to see pictures of your work so we can troubleshoot. What exactly is the issue: Are you getting pleats, tears, wrinkles?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 24

You're using MMF aren't you?

gimmeabreak Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 24

icon_sad.gif yes I am using MMf. I only make cakes for friends and its so much cheaper. Is this a lost cause? Pic also attached
LL
LL
LL
LL

thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 24

what is wrong with MMF? I must have missed something?

gimmeabreak Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 24

one I posted the pic way to many times. 2 look at the green part you can see how bumby it looks. I get this everytime no matter how smooth I try to make the frosting underneath

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:29am
post #7 of 24

First of all, that cake is adorable. The pic is a bit small on my screen, but it looks like the following may help... How thick is your layer of buttercream? It helps to just use barely more than or only the amount of a crumb coat. Also, if the texture of your buttercream is too thin, it won't hold as a firm base for the fondant. Finally, try chilling after applying the buttercream, all the settling will happen before you put your fondant on and a cold cake is sturdier under the weight of the fondant. Chill for a few hours or overnight, then let set out at room temp for about 20 min before covering with fondant.

gimmeabreak Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:43am
post #8 of 24

Thanks so much I have been refridgerating the cakes over night. but I have been adding more icing to try to get it smoother. LOL I will try less.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:45am
post #9 of 24

I think that MMF ALWAYS looks lumpy. It's just the nature of the product. You can purchase SatinIce is as small a container as 2 pounds. MMF is cheaper, though.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:04am
post #10 of 24

My MMF isn't lumpy. I've only had a problem with a cake looking lumpy once and that was because my air conditioner was out and it was 95 degrees in the house.

I'll tell you what works for me, maybe it will help you. I use Indydebi's buttercream and I add 1/2 cup milk instead of the 1/3 in the recipe. Put the cake on a board cut to the exact size of the cake (not the cake pan, the cake itself). Spread the frosting on thick enough that you can't see cake through it, but not as thick as a regular coat of buttercream. Put the cake in the fridge to firm up. Once it's firm and the frosting has crusted, take it out and run your hands over the buttercream to smooth it as much as possible. Set the cake on something with a smaller diameter than the cake board...maybe an upside down cake pan of a smaller size, or a coffee can...something where you will have a few inches between the bottom of the cake board and the counter. Roll your fondant on a sheet of vinyl dusted with cornstarch. Once the fondant is big enough, rub your hands over it to polish and smooth it, then lift it up and drop it over the cake. Cut off any really long excess with kitchen shears, then smooth the cake starting from the top down. Cut off the excess just below the cake board with your kitchen shears. Then let the fondant firm up a while on the cake...I usually set the cake on a larger board until I'm ready to stack them, then use a spatula or bench scraper to pick it up so I don't mess up the bottom edge.

mabryant0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mabryant0212 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:16am
post #11 of 24

maybe you are putting too thick a coat of buttercream under it... if the buttercream doesnt crust that can be an issue too.

BHud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BHud Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 9:38am
post #12 of 24

I coat my cakes with a fine coat of sugar glue and then the fondant layer. If a little bumpy I smooth out with a commercial cake smoother and put another layer of fondant.

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:41am
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecookieladycc

what is wrong with MMF? I must have missed something?

There's nothing wrong with MMF. Mine doesn't come out lumpy.

sherrycanary62 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:44am
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

My MMF isn't lumpy. I've only had a problem with a cake looking lumpy once and that was because my air conditioner was out and it was 95 degrees in the house.

I'll tell you what works for me, maybe it will help you. I use Indydebi's buttercream and I add 1/2 cup milk instead of the 1/3 in the recipe. Put the cake on a board cut to the exact size of the cake (not the cake pan, the cake itself). Spread the frosting on thick enough that you can't see cake through it, but not as thick as a regular coat of buttercream. Put the cake in the fridge to firm up. Once it's firm and the frosting has crusted, take it out and run your hands over the buttercream to smooth it as much as possible. Set the cake on something with a smaller diameter than the cake board...maybe an upside down cake pan of a smaller size, or a coffee can...something where you will have a few inches between the bottom of the cake board and the counter. Roll your fondant on a sheet of vinyl dusted with cornstarch. Once the fondant is big enough, rub your hands over it to polish and smooth it, then lift it up and drop it over the cake. Cut off any really long excess with kitchen shears, then smooth the cake starting from the top down. Cut off the excess just below the cake board with your kitchen shears. Then let the fondant firm up a while on the cake...I usually set the cake on a larger board until I'm ready to stack them, then use a spatula or bench scraper to pick it up so I don't mess up the bottom edge.

I do all of the things Rose does...I would add that I "iron" the cake with a fondant smoother while it is still on the flat surface, then you can apply real pressure to get it smooth, then its a matter of just adhereing it to the cake once it is placed on....I think the key to smooth fondant is smooth buttercream. It needs to be crusted and firm..

And I love IndyDebi's buttercream...it is the easiest recipe I have found to work with!

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:29am
post #15 of 24

nice advice everyone !!! Is IndyDebi's recipe here some where?

Thanks
Anna

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:58am
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrycanary62

...I think the key to smooth fondant is smooth buttercream. It needs to be crusted and firm..

I never use crusting buttercream under fondant and my fondant comes out smooth as silk. I do chill it firm. But then I wet my hands lightly with cold water and run them over the buttercream. This lets me smooth out any imperfections and gives the fondant something to stick to. So even if I used a crusting buttercream, this step would take dissolve any crusting anyway.

I would think the fondant wouldn't adhere as well to crusted buttercream. Or is this specific to MMF? (I use MFF)

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:11am
post #17 of 24

I use crusting buttercream and I chill the cake. I don't add any water to it under the fondant. As the cake comes to room temp, it will form a small amount of condensation...not enough to even show on the fondant, just a slight dewy feel, and that adheres the fondant to the buttercream well enough. The good thing is, if you have an oops and the cake is still cold, the fondant will peel right off and you can start over. I used to mist the buttercream with water first but then if you need to take the fondant off it pulls the buttercream off too.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:12am
post #18 of 24

I use a crusting buttercream under most of my fondant cakes. Just a crumb coat but I do brush it with a paint brush dipped in sugar syrup before applying my fondant. I have never been able to use MMF, it just doesn't work for me. Have you tried MFF? It is by far the best in my opinion. When I tried MMF my cakes turned out lumpy as well. I just don't use it anymore since MFF is about the same cost to make and is really yummy, especially the white chocolate version. BTW your cake is adorable.

Yes, Indydebi's buttercream receipe is on cc.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:14am
post #19 of 24

Like Texas_Rose, I also chill my cake as well before covering. Just thought I would add that since I think that part is important icon_smile.gif . Hope some of this info will help you.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:12pm
post #21 of 24

what is mff?.. making my first fondant cake next week.. was going to use mmf. thanks for all the tips tho! you guys are great! =)

mumof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mumof3 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:25pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrycanary62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I do all of the things Rose does...I would add that I "iron" the cake with a fondant smoother while it is still on the flat surface, then you can apply real pressure to get it smooth, then its a matter of just adhereing it to the cake once it is placed on....I think the key to smooth fondant is smooth buttercream. It needs to be crusted and firm..

And I love IndyDebi's buttercream...it is the easiest recipe I have found to work with!

Please excuse me for comming in on this thread. Sherrycanary62 do you mean you "iron" the fondant, if so....do you (or anyone else) have any tips to give on how to lift the fondant from the flat service then on to the cake? I seem to have a lot of trouble on larger cakes. The fondant starts to tear etc.

BTW I don't use MMF icon_redface.gif because I don't have a microwave. I tried making it another way and it was impossible to roll out. It still had a marshmellow texture, not at all smooth. icon_sad.gif The ready made stuff that I get doesn't taste too bad. It's a UK brand! And on smaller cakes it does seem to work.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:42pm
post #23 of 24

Every one of these cakes are made with MMF as you can see, they are pretty smooth, IMO. No bumps, bulges, etc. I always cover my cakes with buttercream right before I put the fondant on (not a full layer, just a tad more than a crumbcoat) I also NEVER refrigerate them. Buttercream on, then fondant all within about 5 minutes time. I also use the fondant smoother immediately to make sure the surface is nice and smooth. It just takes practice. If your MMF is made right, it should look just like any purchased fondant on the finshed product!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1532173
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1502331
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1500879
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1467595
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1367777

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:12pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I think that MMF ALWAYS looks lumpy.

Well pin a rose on your nose. icon_rolleyes.gif

To help with smoothing MMF, you should really invest in TWO fondant smoothers. I would not use my hands to touch the fondant as that can create lumps and bulges. Also, it's critical to remember that whatever the cake looks like without fondant, is what it will look like with the fondant on it. It's important to have a nicely leveled, evenly trimmed cake to ensure that it goes on smoothly.

Good luck, and cute cake! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%