My Mauve Colored Fondant Faded In A Day

Decorating By jones5cm Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 2:47pm by artscallion

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 4

Has anyone else had this happen?? I used Wilton mauve paste in MMF just last night to cover the base plate for a cake. I was tickled that I got just the tint I was going for (used less than an 1/8th of tsp). It was for a b-day cake for a co-worker and so it sat in her office all day today. She finally decided to cut and serve it around 2pm and when I went to help her with it I was shocked by the obvious fading of the color on the base plate. Sure enough, when cutting the cake, the fondant underneath (not exposed to air/sun) was still the vibrant mauve that it was before. What's up with that??? icon_cry.gif

3 replies
mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 4

I had that happen to me once and let me tell you I was SOOOOO MAD! I threw that bottle out immediately! I think I posted about it on here...and there's a lot that you can't control. I guess back in the '60's they took out some sort of # in red dyes, so now you never really know if it's going to "take" or not. And also, someone said that if it's been sitting under flourescent lighting that may make it fade as well.

Sorry. I know it stinks.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much for your post! that makes me feel a little bit better (it did set under flouescent lighting all day). I just had never heard that before - I'll be more cautious next time. I'm throwing my bottle out too! My main concern is that is was bad enough to happen at all but if that would happen to a wedding cake, I would be devistated!!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 4

red will always fade out of any color that includes it. Orange will fade to yellow. Purple will fade to blue, etc. You can buy fade-proof red and fade-proof purple.

http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=4416&catid=511

I use them all the time and they work very well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%