Mmf Help

Decorating By jadedlogic Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 2:28am by Darthburn

jadedlogic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadedlogic Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 13

OK, so I made 2 batches of mmf last night - and added 1lb of powdered sugar to each batch - when i knead them they have a million little holes in them - so I thought they were dry - added water slowly and finally it seemed ok. I made another batch this morning and only added 1/2 lb of powdered sugar and still the same thing! So I added water and kneaded all the batches together but its still doing that! Someone help me, my wrists feel like they might fall off.........

12 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 13

Could you post your recipe. The mmf recipe I use is 16oz marshmallows, 2lb powdered sugar and 2T water.

Is this similar to yours?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 13

Not sure what recipe you are using (mine calls for 2 lb. p/s, 16 oz. mm's, and a little water and vanilla) If you are having a hard time kneading it, microwave it for a few seconds at a time, that will soften it up really nice - THEN knead it.

jadedlogic Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 13

I'm using the recipe that calls for 16oz mm's, up to 2lb powdered sugar and water. The first time I made it it took all 2lbs of powdered sugar and now this is happening I don't understand.
I warmed it in the microwave it just keeps ripping.

Deb_ Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 13

I usually use about 3/4 of the 2lb bag. Did you let it "rest" over night or for at least a few hours?

When I first mix my mmf it does appear to have some lumps. I wrap it well in a greased piece of plastic wrap and then place in a baggie.

When I unwrap it the next day it's much softer and after kneeding it, it becomes smooth.

I do mix in about 1T of Crisco as I'm mixing my mmf. Some people add corn syrup or glycerin.

Try kneeding in some Crisco.

jadedlogic Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 13

I did that too - sorry my other posts were so short I was looking after the kids....The first time I made it I made it with crisco and flavoring ( I read that in a post the other day) the second batch I used just crisco with the mm's and ps, the last batch I used water and crisco - and it's taking less and less p/s each batch before it seems dry....the first batch I ever did a couple weeks ago used 2lbs p/s. I don't get it.
Thanks for all your help everyone icon_smile.gif

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 13

Sounds like you might be over cooking your MM. How long are you microwaving them for?

I do 30 seconds, then 30 more seconds, the 13 seconds. I know, I know... but I like the pause in the middle to give them a quick rest so it doesn't just nuke for a straight 1:13.

Give that a try and see. Also, take some Crisco shortening and rub it all over the outside of the fondant ball... then work it in. That should help with your tearing issue.. not water. icon_smile.gif

Keep it up.. you can do it!

Deb_ Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 13

I think that weather plays a part too on how much PS you'll need. I find I use more PS when it's very damp and humid out.

It definitely could be that the marshmallows are being "nuked" too long, good call Darthburn.

Treat them like you would when you melt chocolate. The residual heat from the bowl will eventually melt all of the mm's, it just takes some patience and a lot of stirring.

Darthburn Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 13

LoL - I didn't see that you had already given Crisco advice Deb... that'll teach me to read it all first icon_smile.gif

Deb is super correct about the MM's... just add enough heat to start to melt them. The top won't look melted, but if you stir them the heat from the others will melt what's left. You only want to heat them enough to remove the lumps of mallows... but no more than that.

jadedlogic Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:38pm
post #10 of 13

Thank you everyone. Total I microwaved each batch for 2 min. - After adding all the crisco and water and breaking my wrists I think it is ok to use. I will find out as soon as I roll it out - it's for my final cake in Wilton course 3 so I don't want to spend all that money on Wilton Fondant just to have it thrown out, you know?

Thank you sooooo much for your help - after I try another batch in the next few days I will let you all know how it worked following your tips!

How long is mmf good for if wrapped properly?

Darthburn Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:48pm
post #11 of 13

Well they are all nonparishable products really so as long as it doesn't dry out... quite a while.

I have put mine in the fridge for like a month and it was still ok. I have seen people recommend even freezing it.

jadedlogic Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:14am
post #12 of 13

The cakes are covered - not too bad I don't think - though it was a HUGE pain getting the mmf to even be workable. The photo of the 10in is not that great it was in a box while I covered the smaller one. It looks like the edge of the cake right by the rip on the 10in is straight - it's not its just the shadow of the box.
Overall I am happy with it since this is only my 3rd and 4th cake in fondant.
Thank you everyone for your help icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

Darthburn Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:28am
post #13 of 13

Looking good! Nice job! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%