Ideas On How To Make This Wedding Cake?

Decorating By lizespo Updated 30 Jan 2010 , 1:03pm by Classycakes

lizespo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizespo Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 12:11am
post #1 of 8

Hello all,
A client of mine has asked me to replicate this wedding cake or something similar. I am slightly stumped as to how to pull this one off. Has anyone made a cake with a similar design/peeling effect? I have some ideas of how I could make this work with fondant and/or gumpaste but I would love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks so much!
Liz
LL

7 replies
Sara789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara789 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 12:27am
post #2 of 8

It's a very pretty cake; simple and elegant. It looks like they covered the tiers in fondant and then wrapped various panels of differing heights around the tiers. The panels look like they were cut straight on the bottom and with a slight curve on the top that was thinned out in places with a ball tool.

Is this what you were thinking?

mandirombold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandirombold Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:22am
post #3 of 8

I agree with Sara,

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:24am
post #4 of 8

So gorgeous - post pics when you are done!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 8:45am
post #5 of 8

It seems I've seen this style of cake and as I recall, it was wrapped in chocolate, which was shaped for the effect shown. Notice how really thin those layers are. I'm thinking I saw the cake in the wedding cake book that comes from England (Wedding Cake Designs?)

If it is chocolate, I'd recommend doing a small practice run. I've worked with chocolate making my City Skyline cake ... nothing as intricate and detailed as this one. I had to work really fast when applying the chocolate to the cake and I wasn't dealing with such an intricate design.

Fondant would be easier to work with than chocolate, if you can get it super thin like that.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 12:14pm
post #6 of 8

Sorry, but I think it looks like a mushroom gone bad. I've got no clue on how to do the effect. Good luck.

Mike

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 12:33pm
post #7 of 8

If you have the Wilton wedding cake books from the past 5 years, a similar effect was in one of those. It is white with pink edges - three ruffles per tier.

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 1:03pm
post #8 of 8

I have a yellow cake in my pictures that is very similar but the collars are shorter. I'm pretty sure the cake in your picture is done the same way.

I cut out three long strips of fondant for each tier (should have make them a bit thinner). Each one was shorter than the other. The bottom edge of each strip was straight and the top edge was cut in a rolling motion.

Then I placed them on the cake and glued them with vanilla, and then curled down the top edge with my fingers.

Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%